Thinking Of Upgrading to iPod Touch

Reaction score
Hi All ...

I have an IPOD Video (30Gig) and am thinking of getting an ITouch. I have a few questions for anyone who is kind enough to answer.

1. I know ITouch is limited to 16 Gig. Is that a serious restriction?

2. How much does it cost to access the internet using the ITouch?

3. How is the video qualilty compared to the IPOD video?

Many Thanks ...

ALAN :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4GHz Macbook Pro
1. I know ITouch is limited to 16 Gig. Is that a serious restriction?
Only if you have a library larger than that (not counting other space required for apps, photos, etc. I use smart playlists in iTunes to manage mine. Works well for me. If you want your entire library on the device and it's too big, you may not be happy.
2. How much does it cost to access the internet using the ITouch?
Since the iTouch uses WiFi, that depends on how you're accessing it. It's not like a phone/data plan - it isn't always available. I use mine at home/work all the time. Away from there, I'm limited to coffee shops, etc.
Haven't seen the iPod video, so I can't answer, but it's pretty nice to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
Hi All ...

Many Thanks ...

ALAN :D
I have just moved from G5 Video to a 16Gb iPod Touch - the video on the Touch is as good as an iPod Video - definitely, but you have a bigger screen:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Actually, the iPod Touch now goes up to 32 GB. See this page from the Apple store.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank You for your quick reply ..

Just for my own clarification ... Does that mean it that as long as I am in a Wifi spot, it doesn't cost me extra to use the ITouch for Internet access? It's just as if I have my laptop with a wireless connection in the same spot?

In other words, I don't have to subscribe to a special provider (like Apple's) to access the Internet?

Regards,

Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
The ipod touch is exactly like a laptop with wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Does the iTouch have the scratch resistant surface just like the iPhone? I heard this but I just want confirmation before I bought one.

I saw the videos on youtube of the iPhone being attacked with razors and scissors, and although I don't think I'll ever do that, it gave me comfort knowing it won't look like the normal iPod's after just a few days!!

Reaction score
30 gb ipod vs. iTouch

I have a 30 GB video and a music producer I know purchased an itouch. Side by side the iTouch looks like a Plasma HDTV and the ipod looks like a standard TV. The resolution in iTouch is incredibly clear/bright and my ipod could not compete in video format even at its brightest and clearest settings. I kind of maxxed out my memory on my ipod anyway and had to take back for warranty repair because it crashed and wouldn't recover. I have some concerns about that in the future. I want an itouch but the Ipods offer up to 160 gb of memory and I could use it(hopefully take advantage of half of it just in videos). If I could get an itouch for about $500 with 80 gbs I would get it but I'll probably get one anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
The screen is definitely better than the 2.5" on the 30/80 model, I have both.

I find the wireless (which is exactly the same connection as any other wireless device, so doesn't incur any 'extra' charges) is a bit flaky - my woreless at home works fine for laptops and PCs, but the Itouch is forever dropping the connection. Overall it's OK though.

The size probably won;t bother you if you're used to a 30gb Ipod. I moved from an 80 to the 16gb touch, and quickly got used to it. You might have to sync more often, but it's no biggie.

On the other hand, the Itouch has some downsides.

The interface is amusing for about a week, then it's irritating. You can't do anything unless it's right there in your face - forget stuffing it in a pocket and moving tracks without looking.

Safari is fiddly, and again the novelty of zooming and flicking wears off pretty quickly. It also has (or had) some major bugs, with stuff like page navigation.

I find the sound isn't as good as the 5g, but when I posted about that, I was in a minority of one, so it's either just me, or I got a duff Ipod.

The TV out doesn't work with the standard cable. you have to buy Apples $50 rip-off cable. Irritating, but hey, we're Steves little ants . . . :D

Overall, unless you spend a lot of time watching video on the machine itself, I don't really think it's worth the money. I would add that I have a Blackberry that already does a lot of what the touch has, so I'm not as knocked out by stuff like Wireless internet as somebody who doesn't already have it.

Guess I'm kind of jaded with Ipods now. The Touch looked like a giant leap, but it's actually a little disappointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the iTouch have the scratch resistant surface just like the iPhone? I heard this but I just want confirmation before I bought one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The interface is amusing for about a week, then it's irritating. You can't do anything unless it's right there in your face - forget stuffing it in a pocket and moving tracks without looking.
That's one part I don't like either. I like to listen to my iPod on shuffle while falling asleep. Before I could just keep my finger on the forward button to skip a song I didn't want to hear. Now I have to pick the iPod Touch up and actually open my eyes to change a song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
multiple people have posted who OWN touches... why isn't anyone answering me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I don't own one, but my friend has one, as well as my neighbor and both have said they are very hard to scratch. They keep them in the case they come with in their pockets and still no scratches. So yes, they have the anti scratch just like the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have one but its in a hard plastic case so I am not sure if they scratch or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys! think im going to get one now heh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
They are lots of fun, trust me you will enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
multiple people have posted who OWN touches... why isn't anyone answering me...

I never heard about them having scratch resistant screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have no idea if the screen is scratch resistant, mine has one of those thin plastic films on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
The screen is definitely scratch resistant. As far as I know it's the same as the Iphone.

The back on the other hand is the same as any other Ipod, it'll scratch quite easily. I'm not that fussy about it, so it's not really an issue for me.

Having said all that, even though I'm a bit of a slob I got a cheapo silicon cover for mine, which included a film to put on the screen. It didn't as far as I can see have any negative effect on the quality, so the answer really is to wrap the thing up and you don't have to worry about it.

There are hundreds of covers on the market now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The screen is definitely scratch resistant. As far as I know it's the same as the Iphone.
That's interesting. I've never heard about that until now. Makes my iPod Touch seem more exciting now. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.