Is the screen left on damaging over time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

I own a white imac. And I sometimes like to download a few files. But recently they have been big ones. A few gb in size. And these take around a day on my slow ADSL connection.

My question is. . . well it has 2 parts.

1. Is leaving your screen on for extended periods of time without sleep damaging to the mac? Will the screen burn out or a pixel freeze or something?

2. Is there a way to have the screen off but with the internet connection still active? Cause your disconnected when you put your mac to sleep. And I just want to know if there is a work around to this?

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think letting an lcd sleep whenever possible is preferable, if nothing else to save life on the lamp.

in the power settings somewhere you can have the display "sleep" before the computer itself actually goes to sleep. i do this on my macbook, should be the same on an imac. not sure of where the actual setting is - i'm on windows at work right now.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I tried this. In the imac it's under energy saver in the system prefs. And your idea totally worked. You can't send it to sleep with the power button or similar as that sleeps the cpu too. I have to do it your way and let the display fall asleep slowly on whatever setting I chose.

Thank you so much. You're a real lifesaver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.