256 or 512 MB RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi all,

The time has finally come to upgrade to the trusty 'ol 'book.
(1Ghz 12" iBook G4 btw...)

Now as money is tight, I need to decide between a 256MB or 512 MB stick.
I mean, the cheaper option is already going to DOUBLE my ram, do I need 768MB Ram?

I should mention that I do a bit of video editing, but am prepared to live with sluggishness in that department, otherwise I would have bought a powerbook ;)

I just want a bit more oomph in my everyday computing experience (probably to compensate for no longer having the fastest 12" ibook since the speed bump :()

So members of the jury, the decision lies with you!

Btw, I think I'm going to buy with crucial (germany) so it's either

€50,- (256 incl. shipping and tax)
or

€129,- (512 incl. shipping and tax)

Alternatively does anyone know any other reliable European RAM retailer?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would get the 512 chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
me too....

but is the money is tight.. save 'em... the RAM arent goin' nowhere..... :p

Reaction score
Just get the 512mb chip now, here in the US the 512mb sticks sell for less than double the cost of a 256mb stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Aptmunich said:
Hi all,
Aptmunich said:
I should mention that I do a bit of video editing, but am prepared to live with sluggishness in that department, otherwise I would have bought a powerbook ;)

If video editing is part of your livelihood, then you should go with the 512 (actually 1gb… time is $). If you have a lot more time than $, go with the 256. Either way you should see an improvement in processing speed.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, vid editing is more of a hobby... (well I'm editing music video's for my band, so it COULD theoretically become part of my livelihood if all goes well ;))

Maybe I'll ask for a bit of dosh for christmas to go towards the 512MB RAM...

I'll just regret the 256MB stick...I know me ;)

I've been regretting not getting the 20GB 2nd gen iPod ever since my collection hit 9,2GB (currently 13,5 GB and growing)...

Oh well that's life I suppose!Thanks for the comments...

C

code777

being new to this... i wanted to purchase either 256 or 512 for my new iBook but i have no idea what brand/specs i should be looking at. Does Best Buy carry this? CompUSA? thanks guys!

Reaction score
code777 said:
being new to this... i wanted to purchase either 256 or 512 for my new iBook but i have no idea what brand/specs i should be looking at. Does Best Buy carry this? CompUSA? thanks guys!

Just go to Crucial.com and find the ram for your computer, even if you don't buy from them you can see the specs you'll need. From my experience, Best Buy has rather high prices for memory, I don't check CompUSA very oftern because it is far away. Newegg.com is a great site to get memory from, or any PC parts really.

L

Lasha

Yep. Definitely go with the 512 chip. You won't regret getting it. You will be able to do way more stuff than you imagined, smoother than ever before! :)

B

bienenmann

Alternatively does anyone know any other reliable European RAM retailer?

Highly reliable retailers with reasonable prices are alternate.de , e-bug.de , mindfactory.de

bienenmann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.