Spam Filter for MF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Hi,
I've noticed within the week that we are getting Spammed. On another site where I am a Mod we have a new member filter.

When we get a new member his/her privileges are not full open until they have posted 10 posts (User definable). Any spammers among with new members get put in a Mod queue for approval and can be sorted from the ordinary new members

Just a thought :D

M

MacHeadCase

Kilted we do get a truckload of spammers and this means a lot of cleaning up of useless threads in the forums once they're banned.

But at the rate we get new members on any given day, not sure if the mod queue thing would be a practical idea in Mac-Forums's case : we can get dozens and dozens of new members daily.

Just check the number of members when you come in first thing in the morning, then look at the numbers at night before signing off, you'll see what I mean.

But finding a solution to this big spam problem would be ideal for sure. Staff could be freer in helping out once again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I see spammers occasionally. I just report them and let the moderators to their thing.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I see the problem with the number of new members (The forum where I'm a mod isn't as big)

Still let it be said that I understand all your hard work :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks kilted!

The spam problem is something that you can always think about tackling in new ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I just think it is up to all of us to report spam immediately to the mods

After all, there are enough active members on here all the time to nip em in the bud early on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I just noticed lately the advertising showing up right in the middle of a thread. That is annoying as ****. Not a smart move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
Oh, sorry, I didn't get the memo.

I guess I will deal with is as much as I can.

it really is a pain in the butt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.