MacBook battery capacity down...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I've had my Macbook for about 15-16 months and my battery capacity has dropped down to 5136 from 5200 (which is the original battery capacity).

According to coconut battery this is a 2% drop - so the current battery capacity for my macbook is now 98% and it doesn't go up.

So far I've calibrated the battery, but the battery capacity doesn't seem to go up to 100%.

Does anyone know how to make my battery capacity 100% again.

By the way, I've had about 370 load cycles; :( could this be the reason as to why my battery capacity has decreased by 2%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Batteries do loose their charging capacity. From what I've seen around here, you have a very strong battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
98% is very good... Batteries should never be FULLY full anyway (such as in charged to 100%, you don't want to overcook things either ya know?), as it makes it wear out more. I'd be very happy with 98% after 15 months, and 370 cycles.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
98% is very good... Batteries should never be FULLY full anyway (such as in charged to 100%, you don't want to overcook things either ya know?), as it makes it wear out more. I'd be very happy with 98% after 15 months, and 370 cycles.

Batteries do loose their charging capacity. From what I've seen around here, you have a very strong battery.

Ah ok, thanks for your help…

So when do you think I should think about getting a new battery. I mean after how much of a % drop. I ask because I'm going to be going University in a few months and I would need my Macbook 'on the go' a lot more. How long do you think the battery will last before its unusable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I'm not sure about that one, but I have a question for you. How do you use your battery? Have you kept it plugged in or constantly drain/recharge? I ask because I want my battery to last that long ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Wait and see how the battery stands up in a few months. It's not going to work great one day and completely go bad the next day.
You'll have plenty of time to order a new one when you will need a replacement.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just kept my Macbook plugged in most of the time, but I calibrate it about once or twice a month. Also about once a week or so I would use it just off the battery till it gets about 60-70% then charge it up again.

As far as I'm aware you should avoid draining the battery and then charging it back up too much and also avoid leaving it plugged in for too long (e.g. a few weeks).

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You should replace the battery when the time running on the battery diminishes to the point that is unacceptable to you. Now for me, I have 81% on 125 cycles. It is only lasting about 2 hours and Full charge capacity (mAh): 4543

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
i was told it's best if you occasionally let your battery drain fully- about once per month. it lets the lithium ion batteries 'remember' their full capacity. i'm not sure why mine said 5172 (after 37 cycles) and now 5228 after 41 cycles as full charge. :S

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Macbook battery capacity has gone down even more!! its at 93% capacity now.... whens it going to stop!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
with 370 cycles, your battery may be on the way out. Monitor it, and see if it continues to drop. If so, I'd plan on picking up a replacement soon.

When you do get a new one, remember to discharge it (to probably 20% or so) at least once a month, then fully charge it. Lithium batteries like to be exercised, and do not like to be left plugged in constantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2Ghz
New owner and user, and ignorant of how to check the battery. What is the procedure for checking capacity, and recalibrating?

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
JP, there is no recalibration process, afaik. (the meter in the task bar will sometimes read less than 100% when it is fully charged. Running it down a little and charging it back up usually resolves)

There's a widget called iStat that can show you stats on the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info... > Select "Power" > Battery Info

Reaction score
hi everyone!: )
I got my macbook pro some day ago and I noticed that my battery capacity is down to 96 % with only 4 load cycle!!!
Is that normal?!? Im worried about it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13"
You should replace the battery when the time running on the battery diminishes to the point that is unacceptable to you. Now for me, I have 81% on 125 cycles. It is only lasting about 2 hours and Full charge capacity (mAh): 4543

what? :Confused:
i have my macbook for almost 3 years now, i got 1006 cycles, 86% health!
capacity is at 4375 though, shouldnt it be higer than yours?...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.