XP on bootcamp drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I just got my new machine in the mail today, and i want to take advantage of the awesome graphics card it came with, so i installed XP Home SP2 today. When it came to installing the drivers for the computer, i inserted Install disc 1 that came with the computer, and it installed all the bootcamp drivers, but when i restarted, i noticed something strange, it didn't install any graphics card drivers, like the Nvidia control panel wasn't there. On previous installations with Leopard, it was installed, but with this 10.5.2 disc, it didn't work. With a different machine, with a 10.5.0 disc, it installed fine. I tried inserting that disc, and it said that the Bootcamp installation had an error code, and exited. Another problem i was having was when i was extracting archives i had made on my other computer that i had transferred over. They all gave messages of being corrupt. I went back to the original computer i got them from, and extracted them there, no problem. What could be wrong with this XP installation? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm not so sure what the issue is with your install disc (perhaps you have a bad copy?). That aside... I just wanted to point out that you can download and install the latest drivers yourself direct from nVidia's website. What Apple provides is just what it takes to get things going.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Really? I tried doing that before, and they said that the driver for the 8600m GT can only be found through Apple, since it's a modified version of their 8600 GT card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Really? I tried doing that before, and they said that the driver for the 8600m GT can only be found through Apple, since it's a modified version of their 8600 GT card.

Ah... well in your case I guess you can't. I have a 7300GT and had no problems using nVidia's software/driver updates in Windows under Boot Camp. I guess the difference is yours has been specially modified for/by Apple. I wonder what the diff is between the regular 8600 and the 8600m?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.