Some newbie questions...

Reaction score
Please permit some kindergarten-level questions from a new Mac owner:

I just bought my first Mac (and my first laptop), a second-hand 2005-era 12-inch-screen Ibook G4, combo drive, 512 RAM, 1.33 PowerPC with Tiger. It came with the manual for the machine, the manual for Tiger, two reinstall discs and the adapter.

1/ Was this originally packaged with anything else I might need?

2/ The previous owner, who seemed pretty conscientious, peeled off and saved several labels with bar codes and serial numbers. I don't plan to throw them away, but is there anything that I might need to use them for?

3/ Is there any reason not to reinstall Tiger from scratch, to start out with a clean slate, so to speak? Does that cause excess wear on the hard drive? (If that's a silly question feel free to say so.) The unit doesn't seem to have other programs installed.

4/ What settings should I apply for maximum security, especially at hotspots?

5/ How well would Leopard be likely to work on this particular unit? Or do I need more RAM?

6/ How hard is it, really, for a non-technician to install more RAM? The owner's manual recommends taking it to a shop, but then gives detailed instructions with pictures for the user to do it himself. If I need to go to a shop, what's a reasonable price to upgrade to 1G?

7/ I understand that earlier Ibooks had some problems with the logic boards and maybe some other parts. Is this particular model known to have any problems that I should look out for (keeping in mind that it's been in regular use without problems for close to three years)?

8/ The Iskin and copycat products look like a clever way to protect the keyboard. But some people seem to feel that it can leave marks on the screen and might contribute to overheating. Any experience, good or bad, with Iskins?

9/ Anything else I need to know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
1. that is all you need. i didnt but one of them new but thats all you still get.
2. you wont really need them. that info can be found by going to your apple in the top left and hitting about this mac and if you need the serial etc.. later just click on the version number under OS X a couple times to see it.
3. i would start from scratch. it wont hurt it and it will allow you to put your info in it during setup.
4. turn on the firewall in system preferences / security and enjoy :) you will get different answers here but that is all i have ever done and i travel a lot with mine.
5. i would definitely max out the ram and upgrade to leopard. again you will differing opinions here but your machine is more than capable of handling leopard.
6. it is tedious but more than doable to add the ram yourself if you feel you are handy-capable :) i recommend getting your ram from www.crucial.com because they a great warranty, amazing prices, and their memory is known to be great for macs. they have an easy to follow guide drop down box to pick the appropriate ram for your machine.
7. i dont believe that yours is in that area of problems. you can google the model numbers known to have that issue and then go to where i mentioned earlier in question 2 to see if your model number is there. if by chance it is and you then have that problem let me know and i can show you how to fix it. i fixed my G3 ibook without replacing the logic board since it was not worth the cost of fixing. i used a heat gun ;) and i havent had a problem since.
8. cant help you here. i am not one to overprotect my stuff. i take good care of it but dont go to those extremes. my iPhone runs around naked ;)
9. never look back. you will not miss the windows headaches.

enjoy and i hope that helps

ooh i also wanted to mention that if you are looking for software for any reason for your mac then i suggest you take a look at www.versiontracker.com . that site came in very handy when i switched over to mac.

Reaction score
let me answer those questions:

1) yes it was packaged with everything you needed.
2) yes you will need it for the warranty in case the laptop has apple care.
3) I would recommend you to re-install tiger because it will clean the hard drive and have it running fast.

4) theres no need to apply any security settings.
5) no leopard is not compatible with PPC ibooks if I am correct because it was programmed only for intel and plus it would run really slow.
6) I recommend taking it to a shop to have it installed so you dont do anything stupid.
7) nah 2005 ibooks are free of problems.
8) no dont use i skins just be careful with using it.
9) nah theres nothing else you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
let me answer those questions:

2) yes you will need it for the warranty in case the laptop has apple care.

WRONG - you can find the info where i mentioned it earlier and your machine is out of applecare anyway

5) no leopard is not compatible with PPC ibooks if I am correct because it was programmed only for intel and plus it would run really slow.

WRONG - here are apples requirements to run Leopard and you are well above that.

6) I recommend taking it to a shop to have it installed so you dont do anything stupid.

see my answer above. dont spend more than you have to unless you feel by looking at the guide that it is more than your capable of doing.

7) nah 2005 ibooks are free of problems.

WRONG - there were G4 ibooks that suffered from the logic board problem

i think it is clear that although someone can be an XP Master they can still be a Mac Novice :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Leopard can work with this G4 iBook
General Requirements
Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.
Straight from Apples site

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.