How do I get my iPhone contacts into my address book?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I heard this was easy, but I can't seem to figure it out. I was able to do it with my calendar into iCal, but for some reason I can't do it with my contacts. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Me neither...whenever I click the Address Book app to open it, nothing happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1) Plug your iPhone into your Mac.
2) Open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically. (And have mine set to Manually Manage rather than Auto sync when connected)
3) Make sure you have the iPhone highlighted in the left panel
4) Click on the Info tab in the right panel
5) Under 'Contacts' at the top, put a check in the 'Sync Address Book contacts'. Should have a check mark in 'All contacts' already, if not put one.
6) Go thru all the tabs and turn off everything you don't want to sync this time
7) Click on the Sync button at the bottom. It will then give you an information screen informing you of the changes that will be made to your computers Address book with as much detail as you like.

Reaction score
Choose "merge"

1) plug your iphone into your mac.
2) open itunes if it doesn't open automatically. (and have mine set to manually manage rather than auto sync when connected)
3) make sure you have the iphone highlighted in the left panel
4) click on the info tab in the right panel
5) under 'contacts' at the top, put a check in the 'sync address book contacts'. Should have a check mark in 'all contacts' already, if not put one.
6) go thru all the tabs and turn off everything you don't want to sync this time
7) click on the sync button at the bottom. It will then give you an information screen informing you of the changes that will be made to your computers address book with as much detail as you like.

a prompt will show up asking if you want to replace or merge info... Click "merge" !!!!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Responding to a 4 year old post huh? :)

Reaction score
yeah yeah yeah

1) Plug your iPhone into your Mac.
2) Open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically. (And have mine set to Manually Manage rather than Auto sync when connected)
3) Make sure you have the iPhone highlighted in the left panel
4) Click on the Info tab in the right panel
5) Under 'Contacts' at the top, put a check in the 'Sync Address Book contacts'. Should have a check mark in 'All contacts' already, if not put one.
6) Go thru all the tabs and turn off everything you don't want to sync this time
7) Click on the Sync button at the bottom. It will then give you an information screen informing you of the changes that will be made to your computers Address book with as much detail as you like.

Responding to a 4 year old post huh? :)

Hey! my computer freaked out this morning...the permissions got corrupt or something. it wouldnt let me login after the computer turned out. I would type in my password and it would say 'logging in' and then it would go to a blue screen then send me back to the login window. it was so frustrating. I was on the phone with a senior tech advisor from apple for over an hour trying to fix the problem. We ended up deleting some library preferences, logging in as "root" for the admin...after all was said and done (to fix my computer's problem), I didn't lose any files, but the computer looks like how it did when I first bought it. The normal applications I use aren't in the doc, the folders I had saved to the finder window aren't there, and my address book is empty... The only hope of getting these address book entries back is through my iphone.

so i wanted to make sure i did the sync correctly, and not wipe my iphone of it's contacts. So i read this post first

long story. and one **** of a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.