I am having problems please help!!!

M

MrPencil

G3 OS 9.1 ans OS X problems please help me

My G3 is running on OS9.1 and I have OSX that I want to install over 9. When I put the OSX cd in my G3 then restart the machine, OSX gets to the screen where it tells me that it is preparing the installation, then the next thing I see is the screen goes black, and I get the message that the installer has unexpectedly quit (error 0)

Also if I boot to OS 9 I get a folder icon with a flashing ? then the happy mac face, then the ? then the happy mac face, then the computer starts. Please help me, I am new to this and I really want to get started with my computer on the right foot. Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My first guess would be that your system disk is going bad.

Hopefully some one else may shed some light on this

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M

MrPencil

oh... and i just bought this. hmmm. i will have to try another hard drive. Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it alot.

OP
M

MrPencil

ok, i installed a different hard drive that I have that currently has windows on it. I then put in the OS X cd, and I got the same error. The installation has unexpectedly quit. (error 0) now I know nothing is bad with this other hard drive, because I just bought it not that long ago, and windows installed on it fine, and it worked. I have no idea what could be wrong, and I only have so much time to return this Mac, so I need to find out if the problem is the computer or something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can't just take a disk that has windows and put it into an apple machine

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you had the other disk installed, did you have problem booting OS 9?

OP
M

MrPencil

when i booted to os 9.1, there was an icon of a folder with a ? then it went to the icon with the happy mac, then the icon of the ? then back to the happy mac icon. After this the computer booted with no problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which G3 are trying to install OS X on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
You can't just take a disk that has windows and put it into an apple machine

Sure you can. :mac: The 20 GB drive that I installed in my G3 AIO was donated from a Windows machine by my brother. I just installed it, booted from the CD, and formatted the drive.

OP
M

MP007

MrPencil said:
My G3 is running on OS9.1 and I have OSX that I want to install over 9. When I put the OSX cd in my G3 then restart the machine, OSX gets to the screen where it tells me that it is preparing the installation, then the next thing I see is the screen goes black, and I get the message that the installer has unexpectedly quit (error 0)

Also if I boot to OS 9 I get a folder icon with a flashing ? then the happy mac face, then the ? then the happy mac face, then the computer starts. Please help me, I am new to this and I really want to get started with my computer on the right foot. Thanks.

I had what sounds like exactly the same problem. Still have not been able to solve it. Did you? I think you have to update what they call the 'firmware'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you tried reformatting the disk (i.e. wiping it clean) and then installing?

You could do this by hooking it up to a working mac or PC and formatting it there.
I personally don't think it's a firmware issue, if this is a stock machine, but maybe check the downloads section at apple.com for relevant downloads...

Only other issue I could think of is bad RAM, but I'm not sure if this is how it would manifest itself.

Are you using aftermarket RAM?

OP
M

MrPencil

I solved my problem. The disk I had was no good. I exchanged it for a new one, (he os x disk) and the problem is solved. my G3 has 128 mb apple ram, and 128 mb aftermarket ram, and it has been running smooth with no problems now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Excellent, glad it all worked out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.