Strange problems with streaming & syncing

Reaction score
Have had my ATV for a few weeks now and have nothing but a rocky start and inconsistent issues. After getting it to sync and stream properly i started out of the blue having some issues. For the last week or so when i go to sync from iTunes, i get an error message saying that it cannot connect with the ATV because a firewall may be blocking port 3689. I've gone thru all the steps adding these ports when i initially couldn't get it to show up in my devices list. Now it shows up but won't sync. The stranger thing is that now i don't get the error message when telling it to sync, it just "acts" like it is syncing but will just go on forever unless i cancel the action. Even stranger is that even it still will stream all my music (i'm not syncing music due to large volume), but i cannot add new music for streaming. My ATV is basically stuck in time from the last successful sync i did, so it shows all my movies that i previously synced (but no new ones i'm trying to add) and all music, podcasts, etc. I have not seen any issues like this in the forums, any help? My environment is:

Hp Windows PC
Windows XP Media Center edition
(New) Linksys WRT160N wireless router
Comcast Motorola cable modem
500GB WD My Book holding all my media, using firewire 400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Are you streaming from the same computer that you have it synced to. I had a problem with getting things synced as well but my situation might be different than yours is. My problem was this.

I was trying to sync 40+gigs from my pc while Viewing things from my Macbook Pro's shared library. You can NOT do both at the same time, as far as I can tell your apple tv wont even sync if you are using the appletv, period. From my experience you need to just walk away from the appletv for a few days and let it do nothing at all but sync. This drove me nuts.

I also had the problem, once, like you did with the firewall warning. All I did was unplug my router, appletv, and reboot my pc and I never had the problem again. I dont know if this will work for you. I hope it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
I also see in your sig that you have a pc. Are you running that crappy Norton or Mcafee internet security software. If so, get it off. That will cause boat loads of problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also see in your sig that you have a pc. Are you running that crappy Norton or Mcafee internet security software. If so, get it off. That will cause boat loads of problems.

Now there is some of the best advice around.

OP
M
Reaction score

Thanks for advice! Right now i'm running Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007. It's possible that may be causing an issue but i've looked through all the settings and nothing seems to be obvious. I think i will try unplugging everything and see what happens. I've seen in other forums some people mentioning trouble with Linksys routers, mines the WRT160N. I may investigate that further.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well after lots of agonizing about what to do with this issue, i decided after having no luck digging into windows firewalls, etc. that maybe i should just unplug the ATV and restart it. Well wouldn't you know it took a little a while but iTunes recognized it and started syncing with success. It's been a few days now and everything seems to be quite normal. I also turned on the look for wireless speakers option, but not sure if that has anything to do with it. So, looks like a simple restart should always be the first option, as i should have already learned by now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.