Revisiting Mac Roots Help...

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a PC user that was raised on Mac, and my hatred of Windows has finally reached it's peak :Shouting: Therefore I am trying to get back to Mac by building my own and learning as much as I can about them.

I have built PCs, but not a Mac, and don't know what different parts are used, what hardware to look at, or where to purchase them. I "do" know that I want to make a speedy PPC that can run all of my favorite old-gen Mac games with ease (A-10 Attack!, EV, EVN, Marathon, etc.)

Should I worry about making my own or should I buy one factory?
Would OS9 be better for the system running old games, or am I good to use OSX?

If anyone has any tutorial sites, posts, or general information any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't build Macs. You have to buy one... a used one in your case since you want PowerPC. You can get 3rd-party upgrades for some components, but you can't just "build" one. Well... I suppose you could build one from repair parts, but that would be costly and you'd get nothing different from buying a whole one already.

Oh yes, as for OS 9 versus OS X... it depends. Some games will run just fine under the Classic Environment in OS X. Basically... the Classic Environment is Mac OS 9 running simultaneously with OS X. Much like running Windows XP in Parallels under the Unity mode on an Intel Mac. Some might not work... you'll have to try and see.

OP
S
Reaction score
Kk, thanks for the help ^^ I guess that's the reason parts are so hard to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could pick up a cheap G4 that will run classic, on Ebay for not much.

Try and get the best speed machine you can, maybe a dual processor but don't spend too much. You are better off with a good cheap G4 to run those old games - classics by the way.

If you have picked up a G4 for not much money, and you end up loving OS X you can always spend some bigger money later on one of Apple's Intel macs (which will not run the classic os BTW)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.