USB Key Software??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
So I am not sure if this even exists and if it does can someone tell me some more?? I was wondering if there is anyway to have a thumb drive be used as a key to unlock you computer (windows in my case). Almost as a key would. Remove it and it locks etc..

Say have a program that installs a key onto your thumb drive as well as your hard drive and it that key isnt seen it locks up the system.

I know this may sound ridiculous but I think it has potential. Any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Not ridiculous at all. I've heard of solutions like that. Some equipment I work with that run off Windows have a USB dongle that must be present for the software options we have licenses for to work. No dongle, no access. There are also some USB keys that actually require your fingerprint to be used.

Here's one solution that you might like:
http://www.rohos.com/configuring_usb_stick_logon.htm

Combine that with a USB key that requires your fingerprint to use the key itself, and you'll have a pretty secure setup.

Here's a thread on MacOSXHints that has some innovative ways of locking down OS X:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030523192222638
Read through that.... there's some links to pages that might give you ideas.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Thanks for the reply. Ill look into this link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.