Emergency!

Reaction score
My friend just spilt a pint of beer on his macbook because his dog jumped up and pushed him so it went all over the keyboard and screen and it shut down straight away and wont turn back on what should he do?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well first of all he should not have tried to turn it back on.

he should have immediately removed the power lead and the battery, perhaps for a number of days to let the thing dry before even thinking about trying to power it back up.

if it shut down on it's own however, it's probaby toast.

lesson learned, don't keep liquids near your expensive electronics.

OP
H
Reaction score
i just watched a video of this dude poor 2 bottles of water on his macbook pro and it was fine and my friend said it wasnt a full pint it was more of a bout a quarter but it just shut down straight away. He has 1 year warrenty with apple should i try to replace it? or wont they do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I seriously doubt a manufacturer warranty would ever cover damage due to moisture...if you have an additional warranty from the retailer, that's another story...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, they wouldn't. At least not for free. Neglect and/or accidental damage is not covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
My brother bought a lap top from best buy. Someone was smart and decided to place it under our couch (recliner). I reclined it, and the back of the couch got closer to the floor as it reclined and squished the poor thing. It was XP too :( I actually almost cried. But Best buy replaced it with the three year protection plan.

EDIT: Damage caused was a complete cracked screen. It made a really cool design though, like a silhouette of a tree. Was intense looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apple will not replace it. Let it sit for a week or so. There isn't much you can do.
Don't go citing You Tube as a credible place to find evidence. The video may be a hoax or any # of things.

The longer you let it sit, the better the chance it might start up. Although, that chance is quite slim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
heh...that Best Buy plan has saved my petoot on several occasions...most notably when we bought a SCSI scanner to use on the PC my wife's employer gave her to use at home. When they "upgraded" it they took out the SCSI capability, and our scanner was rendered useless. Best Buy let us trade it in with that plan...

Scoff all you want, but if someone offers me an extended warranty, I'll take it if I can (at least almost) afford it...you'd better believe I have one on Cermac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Dell's CompleteCare is the onlything that would cover your accident. Sorry, but you just shouldn't drink things at the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The only chance you have is if you bought the computer on an american express card less then a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only chance you have is if you bought the computer on an american express card less then a year ago.

Do they really cover accidental damage on all expensive purchases?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
american express covers everything. I bought sunglasses leaned over a boat and lost them. Called American Express and they hooked me up with the same sun glasses again. Also if you buy anything they double your warranty up to a year. So if you buy an apple computer and don't get apple care and a year and half it needs repair, your no longer in your apple warranty but your still in the amex period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice, and then that includes everything from lost to stolen, and water damage. So really, you would be using amex insurance for 2 years since it is better coverage? I guess you would go directly with Apple Care for hardware defects and such...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
My brother bought a lap top from best buy. Someone was smart and decided to place it under our couch (recliner). I reclined it, and the back of the couch got closer to the floor as it reclined and squished the poor thing. It was XP too :( I actually almost cried. But Best buy replaced it with the three year protection plan.

EDIT: Damage caused was a complete cracked screen. It made a really cool design though, like a silhouette of a tree. Was intense looking.

As an employee of Best Buy, specifically Geek Squad, I can tell you that accidental damage like crushing the laptop ISN'T COVERED by the Performance Service Plan, and it never was. In this case, it could have been the way a manager could to grant a replacement for the unit, but it was replaced for customer service reasons, not because it's covered in the plan.

Cases where a laptop is replaced under these conditions are up to the manager on duty, and he has the power to replace the laptop, but officially, he has every right to say "tough luck".

Contrary to belief, Accidental damage, spillage, dropping and software is not covered by Best Buy's Performance Service Plan. Any exception to that happens on a case by case basis, and is up to manager's discretion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting... he got very lucky then. How often is it they do that? And could it possibly vary by state/store if they choose to replace it or not? I guess not, since it is a large corporation run by a HQ somewhere, they would have the same regulations i'd assume?

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
I almost spilled a half a glass of water on my USB HD yesterday. I had to pick-it up, eject it and turn in off. Thank God it's still working, but why do I still have a glass of water on my desk next my laptop. I think I will use a bottle from now on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.