• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 - Missing Video Clips

Reaction score
Hi - New here to the forum... having some trouble with iMovie 08: In a project I have created, each thumbnail contins a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside as if to say 'warning'. When I try to view the video it shows a blank screen - nada, nothing. Almost seems as though it says the files are missing but I can see the the original event folder is still there with all the footage.

I really don't want to have to go through replacing each clip individually again! So... Any ideas as to how I can point the project in the right direction to view the original footage in the event folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm was thinking the same thing, missing content.

When iM08 can find the media, you can control-click on one of the clips and a popup selection comes up with options to REVEAL where the content is in the Finder or the iM08 library. If you can't see those selections, then missing content would seem to be the answer, from iM08s perspective.

Can you see the original content in the Event Library of iMovie 08 and if so, can you view that? Can you see the original content on your harddrive in you accounts "Movies/iMovie Events" folder? Is the event on another drive at the top level of all folders in a folder called "iMovie Events" and is that drive hooked up? Did you change ANYTHING like names or locations of the folders or individual files?

There are three folders in your Movies folder that should not be moved or altered by you in any way, shape for form. They are 'iMovie Events', 'iMovie Projects', and 'iMovie Sharing'. They should not be managed manually either.

As mentioned above, you can have an 'iMovie Events' folder at the top of another drive. It too should only be managed via iMovie 08.

Now although I went through alot about not managing the content manual, if I recall right, you can actually drag and drop the event folders from one 'iMovie Events' folder to another. iMovie 08 is smart enough to handle that.

If none of the above triggers any thoughts that fix this issue, then run Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder and perform a Verify Disk.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks xstep - I have revealed the content and it is still there on my HD. I backed-up my work on an external HD the other week to go and work on it on another Mac...

From what you are saying it seems as though my worst fears are confirmed: when i transferred the project back onto my mac, I must have inadvertently managed the top level folders manually in an attempt to tidy up my workspace. In doing so I think I moved the 'project' BEFORE I moved the 'event' and now iMovie does not match the two together. Looks like I am going to have to start over unless anyone else knows of a way to manually link a Project and the original Event footage...?

I guess my mishap should be a warning to others - Manage your files via iMovie and not through Finder!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
Help xstep!!! I have this same problem and I've tried the above suggestions and it still isn't working! I'm bringing in .AVI clips into iMovie 08 (also have quicktime 7 pro) from my Flip video camera. here's my workflow--

1. saving videos from flip video software to a flip video library that the software automatically places in my Documents.

2. then i go into iMovie and import the clips.

even without adding any transitions or anything, it still only has a black screen and just plays the audio.

i WAS able to do it once before (only a week ago) and somehow it worked then, but not now! ACK! i can't remember what i did before, but I think i converted the AVI clip in Quicktime and then imported the newly converted clip into iMovie---

please help!
TIA!
Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Search the forum for converting AVI files. If you can play it in QuickTime Pro, then try saving it as a H.264 QuickTime movie with AAC audio.

By the way I found this on the manufacturer site;

I'm having trouble using Flip Videos with iMovie 08 on my Macintosh. What's wrong?

There is a known compatibility issue with Flip Video Camcorder videos and the new version of Apple's application suite, iLife 08, which includes iMovie 08, iDVD 08, etc., and Apple is working to resolve it. With the release of iLife 08, Apple introduced an improved video engine that unfortunately also caused many video formats to become incompatible with the new version. As Apple works to resolve the issue, in parallel, Pure Digital is working with Apple to better understand the issue and determine if we can expedite a solution from our side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
Thanks xstep! I'm off to try that now...appreciate your help so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.