VMware: adding virtual disk space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Hi folks. Sorry if this is a repeat topic but I can't find it anywhere using the search function...

When I installed VMware, I set the virtual hard disk space for XP too low.. (I know, I know... not smart). I've already run out of space after installing a few windows programs.
But the error has been made and I'd like to try and add "virtual" space. I can't figure out how to do this and the answers I found by googling where too complicated for me.

Anyone know how to do this and explain it for a dummy like me?

I'm running osx 10.5.2 and XP pro through VMware.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Unfortunately, you can't do that. The virtual disk you've created is a single file, and can't be increased in size. What you can do for the next time is simple: Set it for 40 GB, and to increase in size as needed. So, it will start out at around 10 or 12 GB, and slowly grow to maximum size without complaint. But again, 40 GB will be your top end.

Have you thought about sharing a folder from your host OS and mapping that in XP as drive M? You could then install applications on drive M, if the app was designed intelligently enough to let you do so.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Hold on! It might be possible. You don't say how you installed Fusion. Your virtual disk should be able to increase as you add to it. The physical drive (i.e., your BootCamp partition) can't. Did you install Windows on a BootCamp partition or on your Mac HD?
Search Fusion documentation for "resizing virtual machine."
Even if you underestimated your BootCamp partition, there are things you can do to eke more room.
You might be able to Shrink the Windows installation with Fusion. In addition (in preparation for Shrink), I read on lifehacker.com(?) a cool strategy about reducing Windows virtual file size (turning off nonessentials, of which there are many, and so on). I can't find the exact hack right now, but good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Unfortunately, you can't do that. The virtual disk you've created is a single file, and can't be increased in size. What you can do for the next time is simple: Set it for 40 GB, and to increase in size as needed. So, it will start out at around 10 or 12 GB, and slowly grow to maximum size without complaint. But again, 40 GB will be your top end.

Have you thought about sharing a folder from your host OS and mapping that in XP as drive M? You could then install applications on drive M, if the app was designed intelligently enough to let you do so.

I may be in the same boat. The question I have is, is there a way I can check to see what I set the disc space at. I think I remember that it defaulted to "increase as needed", but I do not remember if I set it to increase to the max of 40GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.