Adobe Photoshop CS3 layer propblem

Reaction score
Hope some one can help on this:

If I have an image with a number of layers on and I work, lets say on layer 2. If I then swop to work on layer 4 and draw one single line but decide I don't like what I have done and press comand Z it jumps back to the layer 2 , most of the time without me noticing it's done it and so I continue to work on the WRONG layer.

I hope someone has a cure for this as it's worse than just a bit frustrating!!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, al.bats.

Sounds like an Adobe problem to me.

Did you submit this as a bug or get in touch with the Adobe support team ? Or maybe just look at the Adobe user forums, see if there hasn't been a workaround on this one. Either way, Adobe should be notified of this.

I am still with CS2 so can't test out what you are experiencing, though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I will contact the support team and notifiy this as a bug. I will post back here if I get any joy on this.

Once again thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I know very little about Photoshop, but I'm willing to take a stab at this one...

Drawing a line alters the image and shows up as a command in the history pane as an action.

However, I'm not sure that switching layers shows up as an action in the history pane. It doesn't alter the image in any way.

It would appear that the Undo command reverts the image back to the state it was immediately after the previous alternation was made to it.

I'm not sure how to word this clearly, so hopefully this makes sense. And you are correct--this would be aggravating.

Reaction score
Hmm, I've been testing this out on my PS CS3 and this doesn't seem to happen. When I command+z it still stays on the same layer.

Unfortunately I can't think of anyway to resolve your issue. I didn't change any setting or anything like that and don't even know of a preference that would. Maybe if you did a clean install of Photoshop it would fix itself?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying, I will have a go at a clean install. My friend works on CS2 but doesn't have the same problem as I have been having. All my previous Photoshops have not done this either.

I have had a look in the prefs and likewise I can find nothing that may switch on or off this annoying problem.

If I do find an answer to this I will let you know.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.