Connecting a second monitor to iMac 2.8gz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I couldn't find a thread that especifically helped me with this one... I am trying to connect my monitor:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0CGU_TMH_150CGU_15_Inch_Color_Production.html
It definetelly has a vga female input, even if it says for remote right on it (?)
I have the mini dvi adaptor, vga cable, all connected. When i go and check for new displays, nothing happens... What do I need to do? Isnt this monitor able to be connected? Or is it an imac's issue (its the 24 inch 2.8 intel core duo)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm thinking that 15-pin connector for a remote control isn't nearly the same as a D-Sub connector, and as such, wouldn't be able to be used as an external monitor.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
An RS-232 is used for serial devices and primarily for remote controls today in some higher end setups. It is not a d-sub / video input.

OP
K
Reaction score
so basically, is there any way at all to connect these two that you know of? Anything I can do to the monitor, maybe?

Thanks for your responses

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am not guaranteeing anything here as I have never tried to use this type of monitor for connecting a video source such as a TV or computer. These are used primarily with test equipment and in commercial broadcast operations where only a composite video is required. (Although there are other add-on cards that can be purchased for this monitor.)

The only way I know of to give it a try:
First you'll need the mini-dvi to composite adapter connected to your iMac.
Then you'll need a composite to BNC adapter.
Then a BNC cable.

And if you don't have the owners manual for the monitor, you should take a browse through it also.

Am not real clear what the connection is for the audio on the monitor (they don't say), but it looks to be a standard RCA monaural plug.

If I may ask, why do you have a monitor like this?

And a composite connection is going to look like ... well ... we're not allowed to say words like that around here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.