Need help adding a network printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hi. Hope this is the right place to post this...

I am having problems adding a network printer and need some advice.

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4
It's wired to a Linksys router (BEFSR41 v3)
Also on that router I have a D-Link printer server (DP-300U)
Attached to the printer server on LPT2 is my old pal an HP 6P

The printer server is talking to the printer because I can get it to send a test page to the printer using its web browser config IP address. Obviously the router is talking to the printer server because I can access the server via the network. Problem is that I cannot figure out how to add a printer on my computer such that it will work properly. When ever I print the print job just hangs.

I have tried
1) selecting the printer from the Default Browser trying (a) AppleTalk (b) Bonjour and (c) selecting "More Printers" (using HP IP printing and manually specifying the IP address) but it does not locate the printer server
2) selecting IP Printer using each of the 3 protocols, providing the address and queue
... but none of this gets my printer working.

Oh yeah Apple Care can't/won't assist because there are too many 3rd party boxes between the MacBook and the printer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Ross.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Is the HP 6P network capable - why not hang it off the router - mine is with a fixed IP. You have cascading "routers" and it is confused unless the HP 6P is controlled by the Server. What function does the Server perform for the HP 6P?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Success! I had to set the queue simply to "LPT1" and then install a driver from Gutenprint (formerly Gimp Print) and select that when adding the printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.