AC Adapter GOES POP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ok long story short:

bought new MBP
new AC adapter light goes off from time to time.
call apple, get replacement sent.

replacement gets plugged in, 10 min later POP noise. my UPS goes off, then on. AC adapter no longer works.

had to go back to the old one. What happend?

gonna have to call apple, AGAIN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
sounds like a malfunction... Maybe a circuit or something blew? Notice any burnt marks or dis colorization on the power supply?

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nada. smells fine, no burn marks either connection.

odd. maybe just a dud. Im more worried about my new MBP than that. it seems fine with the old charger. If it got friend, guess what apple, you owe me a new machine. No fixing that on a New computer!

civic still? just got an 07 EX back in NOV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
I have a similar problem.

Every so often, the light on my power connector on my MB just goes out, although it is still charging. unplugging it from the MB and plugging it back in solves the problem but it is worrying...

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
No matter what happens, it seems clear that it died. It is new, so you should be able to get it replaced. You should go ahead and do that asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a similar problem.

Every so often, the light on my power connector on my MB just goes out, although it is still charging. unplugging it from the MB and plugging it back in solves the problem but it is worrying...

Dave
The charger on my new mbp does that too. Interesting.

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a 15 minute phone call turned into a 45 min disaster on the phone today with apple.

i explained to tech1 that the adapter they sent me made a pop noise and died 10 minutes into using it. Ok, he wants me to drag my new MBP into an apple store already. I told him the original AC adapter is still working, the light just doesnt work always. he finally realizes the computer is probably working fine. He says ok, ill have to have you send the original (only working adapter) in the return box, AND WAIT for a new replacement for the fried one.

at this point i was a little miffed. Apple sends me a faulty device, and i have to wait to get another working adapter? its not like i can use the computer much without one!

he then goes to tell me that he "can" send another replacement out to me, for the fried one, but that they will have to put a 2nd HOLD on my credit card. I told him "no, send the part, at your inconvience, your starting to ruffle my feathers." he connects me with another procare tech, and he then offers to replace the adapter by mail, before the old one is sent in, or i can walk into an apple store, and get an exchange. I took #2, and itll just have to wait till monday.

rather frustrating when you think you spend 2000$ on a machine, get some faulty hardware, and spend WAY WAY too much time on the phone with people that simply dont know how to get a job done.

something that shouldve taken 15minutes tops, took around 45, with several "can i put you on hold"s

annoying. I never lost my cool, but i was def put off by apple by the time i had concluded the issue with them. sad, all i want is a 100% working adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.