Networking External HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2
I have an external HDD and I'm wondering if I could make it a wireless network drive. For example I want to be able to access whatever on the HDD without having it plugged into my laptop. I saw a Linksys router that has a network storage plug (USB), could this work or is there a better way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
I have an external HDD and I'm wondering if I could make it a wireless network drive. For example I want to be able to access whatever on the HDD without having it plugged into my laptop. I saw a Linksys router that has a network storage plug (USB), could this work or is there a better way?

it might or might not work depending on the router. You better do some research before you get the wireless router.

But for sure the speed of copying files back and forth that HDD when connected to the router could be extremely slow.

I have a 500Gig External NAS which i used to connect to my belkin router in one of the LAN ports and i connected a 120gig HDD with USB to my NAS and it was reallly really slow.

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2
Hmm...sucky as ****. What about something like Time Capsule or AirPort Express? If not then perhaps set up a cheap computer (PC with Mac or just a Mac Mini and external HDD) as a dedicated server?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.