Webcam on the fritz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
Hey All:

My girlfriend has a Core Duo MacBook (2006). Recently I did a fresh install of Leopard. When we first started using her MacBook after the Leopard install, the Webcam (built in iSight) didn't work. It didn't show up in System Profiler (under the USB). So we tried restarting it, and it still didn't work. I tried reseting the SMC, PRAM and all that jazz, and nothing helped.

So after a while of trying, we closed the lid and allowed the MacBook to go to sleep. about 5 Minutes later, it woke itself up with the lid closed. So I opened the lid, and magically, the Webcam worked.

Now a couple days later, the Webcam has disappeared again. Any thoughts? Sounds like a driver issue to me, is there a way to reinstall the Webcam Driver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Although it likely seems obvious, have you simply powered off the machine (vs. closing the lid) and then rebooted? This will just make sure you are not running some corrupted software.

Much as I hate this next bit, I would also suggest, as a real stretch, the infamous "Repair Permissions" remedy. Since you are having system related trouble, there is a one in a hundred chance that it might find and repair something. You will find the Repair Permissions capability in Disk Utility, after you have highlighted your main drive.

OP
KamileonX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although it likely seems obvious, have you simply powered off the machine (vs. closing the lid) and then rebooted? This will just make sure you are not running some corrupted software.

Yes, we have tried rebooting, I mentioned that in my first post.

Much as I hate this next bit, I would also suggest, as a real stretch, the infamous "Repair Permissions" remedy. Since you are having system related trouble, there is a one in a hundred chance that it might find and repair something. You will find the Repair Permissions capability in Disk Utility, after you have highlighted your main drive.

We tried repairing disk permissions, there was nothing to repair... Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
It's on the fritz! wowee, what a kick in the nickers.

I think you should take it to the apple store, almost sounds like a loose flex cable.

OP
KamileonX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's on the fritz! wowee, what a kick in the nickers.

I think you should take it to the apple store, almost sounds like a loose flex cable.

Ya, I think that is what it's going to come down to. How much do you think that will cost? Because unfortunately, the MacBook is not covered by any kind of warranty anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.