Converting Thunderbird mail filters to Mail.app format

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a recent convert to Mac OS X (have been using linux on the desktop since ~1996) and have been using Thunderbird for the last few years. As a consequence, I've accumulated ~150 mail filters and I was wondering if there was a utility to convert Thunderbird mail filters to Mail.app filters. I'd like to try and migrate but the thought of having to regenerate 150 filters by hand isn't very appealing.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
thunderbird export

I have the same problem. I do not think it would be hard, but can't find anyone who's already done it.

Step 1 would be to export your Thunderbird mail filters: there is a Thunderbird add-on for that.

Step 2 would be to translate between that format and the Apple mail "rule" format, which you can find in ~/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist . Personally I would write a Python program to do this.

Then, I think, Step 3 would be to simple replace the file from Step 2 with your newly generated file and fire up Apple Mail. There are probably some gotchas here.

If I ever get around to actually doing this, I'll let you know. Hopefully you can do the same.

-Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.