expanding columns automatically

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 mhz iBook G4- 12"
have you ever highilghted a file that has a name longer than the actual width of the column? I konw i can extend the column by grabbing the bottom corner, and dragging the column outward...but, is there a way to just have columns automatically expand to the width of the file with the longest name?

i would love that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Double click the handle to fit the single column to the largest file name.

Option+Double click on the column handle to fit all the columns to their respective largest file names.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 mhz iBook G4- 12"
yeah, that's close...i was hoping for something a bit more "automatic"....like, as i arrow down the files the column would respect that width of my file names.....what can i say, i am lazy and don't want to have to mouse down everytime i want to autofit columns..

but not to discount your help...so thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Double click the handle to fit the single column to the largest file name.
What's a column handle (can you post a screenshot). I've tried t doble click everywhere, so I must be missing somenthing painfully obvious :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Thanks. I always use list view, so never notced that ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.