How do you fix up a screwed up dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well attached is a picture of my dock. Yes it looks just like that. And this happens sometimes after I quit a few games and other apps. My question is how do I revert it back to how it's supposed to look like?

I know loging out or a restart will work. But is there another way thaat doesn't involve all of these things? Would the kill all dock terminal command work? or just screw up things even more.

And yes if you're wondering why all the icons, that's cause now there's 2 tiny green icons for each app, but when clicked on they act as the one icon as it[s supposed to. The dock still works fine, it just looks like a hideous green mess.

Any ideas in fixing this?

Picture 3.jpg

Reaction score
Like you said, try to kill the dock in the Terminal. Can't hurt to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
That *is* a mess. Can you isolate it down to any one specific app or game that causes this?

Are you running the latest version of either Tiger or Leopard (you don't say which you have)? This sure looks like a bug to me. I would want to make sure that all of my software was at its most current state, and then find out which application was causing this. I would tend to avoid that application or report a bug after that.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I am running 10.5.2 and I tried that kill all dock command in terminal and it fixed up the issue right away. Reset my dock back to normal. Thanks for both of your help.

And I'll have a look around for the offending app and send en email the developers way as soon as I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.