Will a MacBook overheat playing World of Warcraft?

Reaction score
Hi all!

First of all, I want to say hi to everyone since I am a new Mac owner. Yep after the miserable experience that is Vista, I decided that it was time to go on to bigger and better things and that is a Mac. I also am going into photography so I wanted to have something that would work well.

But the main reason that I am here is to ask a question. I have a MacBook with a 2.4 ghz duo core intel processor and 4 GB of ram. I am running WOW on it but it seems to get very hot. Is this normal for this notebook or should I be concerned. I am getting 30 FPS in the game which I think is decent but I need to know, will playing WOW for extended periods (four hours or more) overheat the notebook or will I be okay? Is anyone else out there playing WOW (I am sure they are) and if so how is the game running on your MacBook?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I played WOW on my 2.0ghz MacBook for over a year with out a single problem. I am sure it will be fine. Just don't rest it on your lap :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Macbooks run pretty hot all the time. Mine can get really hot when I start gaming and using more demanding applications, but it seems to be perfectly happy like that. Sometimes it's a bit too warm to have on my lap, but in the nearly 22 months I've had it it's never once overheated. I've even called Apple and had it looked at, and they said it's perfectly normal - they just run hot.

So I wouldn't worry.

OP
K
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for all the help. BTW in case anyone is wondering, I get a solid 30 FPS on the MacBook on WOW with 4 GB of ram. The notebook is wonderful. My only regret is all of the lost years with Windows.:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
My only regret is buying a MacBook as soon as they came out - mine only supports 2GB of RAM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I play WoW on both my Imac and my MBP. Both have 4gigs of ram and support flawless running of WoW in 2 windows on 2 accounts.

Reaction score
one world... iLap

My only regret is buying a MacBook as soon as they came out - mine only supports 2GB of RAM!

Same here :Angry:

I want to get a new one, maybe MBP but mine is running perfectly fine.. .i'll wait till it dies (maybe another year :Smirk: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I played halo on my MeromBook. I got a bad one with a bad fan (later replaced, see whining in threads made by me in profile) and the heat was just unbearable. At one point, it reached 209F. This changed with a new fan, but MacBooks still run hot. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Cool! Thanks for all the help. BTW in case anyone is wondering, I get a solid 30 FPS on the MacBook on WOW with 4 GB of ram. The notebook is wonderful. My only regret is all of the lost years with Windows.:'(

30 fps? I have a MBP 2.2 Ghz with 4 GB of ram and my FPS on WoW fluctuates from 18 to 160... it always confused me

Reaction score
Re: Wow

I've played WoW for several hour sessions without any issues on my new MBP 2.4 Penryn w/4GB of RAM. The ONLY time I had a total computer-freeze-meltdown was when I played WoW on the MBP display while watching a DVD on a 19" LCD hooked up. I decided to just use my TV from now on while playing WoW :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've played WoW for several hour sessions without any issues on my new MBP 2.4 Penryn w/4GB of RAM. The ONLY time I had a total computer-freeze-meltdown was when I played WoW on the MBP display while watching a DVD on a 19" LCD hooked up. I decided to just use my TV from now on while playing WoW :)

LOL, yep, that was probably a little much for the video card to handle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.