Mac G4 400 Mhz HD Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my small capacity 20GB HD's to an Apple Brand Hard Drive 500GB Seagate ST3500641AS SATAII. But the person selling it says...

"This Drive will work as long as the format that is compatible with your System is SATA format. If it is IDE it will not work".

How can I find out if my Mac G4 is Sata compatable? I looked in the System Profiler and I looked on the web.

Can anyone help me out? I don't want to waist my time or the sellers if this drive is not compatible.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Anthony

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You seem to have a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth 400Mhz G4. No system that old supports SATA (Serial ATA). You can purchase a PCI SATA card for your Mac but ones that support OSX are not cheap. Your Mac supports IDE drives up to 120GB with the built in IDE controller. You can purchase a PCI IDE card that will allow any sized IDE drive to be installed but again, more $$$. I would just find a 120GB ATA (IDE) drive. That is a lot of room. You can install 2 120 GB drives in fact.

Older systems, both Mac and PC, had that 120GB limit. The limit is actually 128GB but 120GB is pretty much the largest drive under the limit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.