Weird problem with Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
This is an odd issue I've been having with Mail all day long. Every so often, I'll notice my fan coming on (very, very rare) along with iStat showing that one of my cores is pegged. It shows that Mail is using about 100% of my processor (1 core). When I try to quit the application by right clicking on on the icon in the dock, it freezes up the program and makes me force quit it.

Has anyone else had any problem like this?

Thanks,
Damien

Reaction score
I haven't add any issues with Mail for me. Does Mail cause this to happen while it is sitting idle, or when trying to send/receive mail? Weird...keep me posted if you find anything out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
This is an odd issue I've been having with Mail all day long. Every so often, I'll notice my fan coming on (very, very rare) along with iStat showing that one of my cores is pegged. It shows that Mail is using about 100% of my processor (1 core). When I try to quit the application by right clicking on on the icon in the dock, it freezes up the program and makes me force quit it.

Has anyone else had any problem like this?

Thanks,
Damien
My first thought is the Mail app. is bad. The other would be corrupt preferences files.
I would try using Pacifist and install a new Mail app. first. See if it helps.

If not, try creating a new user account and run Mail thru there. If no problems, probably a corrupt preference file in the home folder. If there's still problems, there are a few preference files outside of the home folder you could delete, as well.
Just make sure you backup any files and settings.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It happens when it's idle. It's really strange. I'm going to verify preference files and delete corrupt ones with MainMenu. Hopefully, that'll fix it.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still having my problem with Mail. Does anyone know if I could use Time Machine to back up Mail to its state before this problem started?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
You never mentioned if you tried re-installing the Mail app.
If so, try Time Machine. It's what its for.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with Mail and Address Book. Everything would freeze. After days of searching through forums I found a recommendation to delete iStat. I deleted it and everything now works fine!

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got around to finding the mail preference files and deleting them. This has fixed the problem, although I had to reenter my mail setup info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.