what does the MBP firmware update do for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I just got the firmware update and I am wondering exactly what it does. Does anybody have any info and/or does anybody see a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
not available here... 2.4 penny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't updated though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
same here, I'd like to know if it's worth it. To me, a firmware is a pretty serious update and I won't do it if it's not worth it that much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
i dont mean to sidetrack this thread...but is this upgrade for the 2008 macbook pros only?
i downloaded it & i was told that my computer did not need the upgrade...

Reaction score
My 2007 2.4ghz MBP got updated. The official blurb in the updater said it was for "stability", which doesn't mean much. With 10.5.3 builds in testing now, maybe they changed something that exposed a problem with the old firmware. Perhaps certain builds don't have this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
It's not just for MacBook Pros -- my MacBook downloaded it automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
wow didnt see this thread a few minutes ago. I just posted one too... Well for me it fixed my isight and now i can use my laptop in clamshell mode while its hooked up to an external monitor.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i still haven't noticed any difference. I hoped it would fix my optical drive, but it did not. My isight never had a problem with yahoo, and i never triend closing my MBP and using an external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Not available yet for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Nothing for me either. I even downloaded the macbook firmware from versiontracker and is said the update did not apply to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
After spending some time with my MBP after the firmware update I can safely say that when I close the lid and later reopen it the screen now returns to a normal state of operation. This is in contrast to it remaining switched off forcing me to reboot the machine. I'm very happy about this :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, this post says it fixed iSight for Yahoo...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
After spending some time with my MBP after the firmware update I can safely say that when I close the lid and later reopen it the screen now returns to a normal state of operation. This is in contrast to it remaining switched off forcing me to reboot the machine. I'm very happy about this :D

this happens/happened to me every once-in-awhile...
It is really annoying when it does happen.
hope this is the solution :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
this happens/happened to me every once-in-awhile...
It is really annoying when it does happen.
hope this is the solution :)

I read somewhere that that is caused by iStat on dashboard. I took it off about a week ago, and ever since, it has woken back up every single time. It used to do it every other time I tried to wake it up.

BTW I installed the firmware update, and besides it taking my wallpaper back to the previous one I had up (weird, I know), I haven't noticed a difference. (My brother installed the firmware update as well on his MBP, and it also switched his wallpaper back to the one he had before).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I read somewhere that that is caused by iStat on dashboard. I took it off about a week ago, and ever since, it has woken back up every single time. It used to do it every other time I tried to wake it up.

BTW I installed the firmware update, and besides it taking my wallpaper back to the previous one I had up (weird, I know), I haven't noticed a difference. (My brother installed the firmware update as well on his MBP, and it also switched his wallpaper back to the one he had before).

Yeah I read that about iStat also but never stopped using it. I like iStat so I opted to continue using it and just reboot the machine. It seems now that the issue has been fixed so I'm a happy camper. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
same here, I'd like to know if it's worth it. To me, a firmware is a pretty serious update and I won't do it if it's not worth it that much!

I updated and have seen no difference, however, the update is super easy to do. I don't think there is any risk to the machine. You run the update installer and shut down the machine. While it's off, you hold down the power button until it beeps. It then restarts and all is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
No update available for me.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

iStat fixed that problem with an iStat update, so feel free to use it again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.