Time machine and NO Time Capsule and NO Aiport Extreme Base station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
I read an article today from macworld about using other USb storage devices with the Time Machine but it talks only about using it with the Airport Extreme Base station. My questions is: Is it possible to use my WD Netcenter (NAS) with Time Machine to backup my MBA? I use a belkin Draft N router. Will this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
So far as I know you can use Time Machine to back up to any mountable drive - so if you can mount it fine, yes it should work.

Worth a try anyway.

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
So far as I know you can use Time Machine to back up to any mountable drive - so if you can mount it fine, yes it should work.

Worth a try anyway.

Thanks. What filesystem should i format my NAS to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erm... Mine's 'Mac OS X (Journalled)'. I'd say plug it into your mac and go with Disk Utility.

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erm... Mine's 'Mac OS X (Journalled)'. I'd say plug it into your mac and go with Disk Utility.

**** it i am getting the the tera byte time capsule!

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have this 500gig WD Netcenter NAS which i have connected to my belink Draft N wireless router. I can access this in my MBA without any problem.

So after i get the time capsule, can i connect my NAS to the the time capsule?

What is the best way to setup the network? With or without my Belkin router?

I have an MBA and a thinkpad.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... if I were you I'd take out the Belkin for simplicity, go with the TC. If the NAS is a HDD you can connect via USB it should be fine plugged in to the TC.

And the TC is 802.11n... so faster!

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome i got my TC and got it working in 30 mins. Though it doesnt take that much time to setup, i had a setback because of my carelessness but now things are great.

I also connected my netcenter to one of the LAN ports and i can access just fine. Just like before it shows up in shared.

I copied a 700mb movie file to the TC and it took exactly 1min and 13 secs.
I copied a 700mb movie file from the netcenter to the TC and it took 8 mins(not bad actually)
I coped a 700mb movie file from the TC to the netcenter and it took 10 mins(not bad again)

Reps for you skaheadpunk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woooo! Can't wait til my 802.11n card gets here.... ;)

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome i got my TC and got it working in 30 mins. Though it doesnt take that much time to setup, i had a setback because of my carelessness but now things are great.

I also connected my netcenter to one of the LAN ports and i can access just fine. Just like before it shows up in shared.

I copied a 700mb movie file to the TC and it took exactly 1min and 13 secs.
I copied a 700mb movie file from the netcenter to the TC and it took 8 mins(not bad actually)
I coped a 700mb movie file from the TC to the netcenter and it took 10 mins(not bad again)

Reps for you skaheadpunk!

I plugged the ethernet cable into my MBA at 11pm and kicked off the initial time machine backup and it was done by 4am. Total backup size was 27.6 gig.

No errors nothing. I opened time machine this morning and it looks awesome.

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always have noticed some kind of lag when navigating my WD Netcenter(NAS) but i copied a bunch of media files over to the TC and the navigation was pretty slick. And the medial played without any choppiness.

My only complaint is that after i hooked up the TC, it shows that the total diskspace is 978GB. ***? 1 TB is not equal to 978GB and the firmware and watever other **** they put into the TC is definitely not gonna take 22gig. This is insane.

This is like how seagate was cheating on their desktop and notebook harddrives. Remeber they had to pay all the people who purchased the HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always have noticed some kind of lag when navigating my WD Netcenter(NAS) but i copied a bunch of media files over to the TC and the navigation was pretty slick. And the medial played without any choppiness.

My only complaint is that after i hooked up the TC, it shows that the total diskspace is 978GB. ***? 1 TB is not equal to 978GB and the firmware and watever other **** they put into the TC is definitely not gonna take 22gig. This is insane.

This is like how seagate was cheating on their desktop and notebook harddrives. Remeber they had to pay all the people who purchased the HDD?

Actual formatted space on any disk is less than what it says on the box. For example, I have a 160GB HDD - 148.73 of which I can actually use - which is 93%. You have 978 of 1024GB - 95.5%... Can't for the life of me remember why this happens, but I'm sure someone will come along who does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.