Mac virus

M

Maju

Hi, I just read about a virus that is aimed to get you bank details and what not, it´s called Opener or Renepo. I found some info worth looking into at:
http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/22/1614240&mode=thread.
Here´s a way to check if you have it (from the above site):
"Dave Taylor suggests that the best way to tell if you've got opener installed is to type this into the terminal: sudo ls -l /Users/*/Public/.info
A good result is ls: /Users/*/Public/.info: No such file or directory ."
Anybody else have anything on this? How´s it installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Don't give your administrator password to any process that you do not trust where it is coming from. Basic common sense. Try not to be logged in as root for long periods of time, or at all. It's not a big deal as long as you are not giving your admin password to any and every process.

OP
M

Maju

Thanks, but what is being logged on as a root? Log out from internet when not using it? So this comes with some program you install your self, right?
Many questions, one more, are there viruses similar to the ones for PC, that you can get through attachments and visiting sites, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
certain programs require you to put in your admin password, you'll get a dialogue box asking you for your administrator password. And yes you would install this yourself.. you would try to install this program and then it would ask for your admin password and if you were dumb enough to give this program that you don't know what it is your admin password then it would do all those things outlined in the virus definition on that site you mentioned. As of now and probably a long time from now there are no viruses, spyware, etc that just installs itself and propigates by sending itself to people in your address book or catching it by surfing to a website.

OP
M

Maju

Murlyn said:
certain programs require you to put in your admin password, you'll get a dialogue box asking you for your administrator password. And yes you would install this yourself.. you would try to install this program and then it would ask for your admin password and if you were dumb enough to give this program that you don't know what it is your admin password then it would do all those things outlined in the virus definition on that site you mentioned. As of now and probably a long time from now there are no viruses, spyware, etc that just installs itself and propigates by sending itself to people in your address book or catching it by surfing to a website.

Thanks! That´s all I needed to know.

Reaction score
A bit confused

hello
i had a quick read thru the above post and it has resulted in slight confusion.
I ran the command in terminal and it asked me for my password, i obviously didn't put it in but does this mean i'm infected?? I guess because it doesn't have my pw it can't run but it's still a worry

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
mig.gentry said:
hello
i had a quick read thru the above post and it has resulted in slight confusion.
I ran the command in terminal and it asked me for my password, i obviously didn't put it in but does this mean i'm infected?? I guess because it doesn't have my pw it can't run but it's still a worry

No, you are not infected. The sudo command is asking for the pass word. This is normal for that command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.