Wireless Networking With Cable High Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
All: Sorry if something similar was posted whenever, I'm not here all the time and up until now never really had to be concerned with how wireless networking would work from home.

Here's my situation. I currently have 1 MAC (Power Mac G4) hooked up to a cable connection. Thus me being able to post this. ;) In about two weeks (give or take) I am most likely buying one of Apple's new iBooks which we know comes with the airport extreme card.

Once I have that, I want to be able to be wireless from my then new iBook and have the G4 still hooked up to the net. How do I that? I kinda thought the airport extreme card would be enough, now I'm wondering if I need Apple's base station.

As you can see I'm a newb when it comes to such a local network. Any information and explainations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Apple 4ever. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You do not need to get apples airport basestation you just need an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless router (they are less money than apple's)

Airport Extreme is 802.11g but works with 802.11b
g is faster but only for a 50 ft range then it is just as fast as b for a 150 ft range
b routers are less money and have a good speed for a 150 ft range

You will get a router and plug your cable modem into it. You will have another network cable connected to the router that goes to the computer so your G4 will have the regular wired speed. The router will send the signal to the iBook's Airport Extreme (very easy to set up)

I recommend

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544 (B)
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601 (G)

You can pick up any brand you want but I have had nothing but success with LinkSys products. These are available at just about an electronics store (CompUSA, RadioShack, BestBuy, Circuit City) and will be about the same price at any one you go to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
S

Shok

i use a d-link514 router, very easy setup, i basically got it and my cable modem on the same day and did the switch from a dial up user to a highspeed wireless user in like 30 mins, so its very easy.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
We'll see, I am going to attempt to create a network at home later on. I finally have my iBook and I opted for Apple's airport base station. I tried to play with it last night, but it was late and I had no clue. lol

If anyone can answer me this, how do I set this all up from start to finish? See my first post to see what I want to do.

Or as a refresher. My iBook has the airport extreme built in. We have cable internet. We want to access to the internet on this iBook and the Power Mac G4.

Your help is definitely appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Hook up cable modem network cable to Airport Basestations Uplink port (1st network port labeled WAN Port)
2. Hook up network cable from Airport Basestation to PowerMac G4's network port (LAN Port to the powermac where the cable modem originally plugged in)
3. Plug in AirPort Basestations power
4. Your iBook should detect the connection automatically but you can still run the setup assistant (Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Setup Assistant)

index_ports01132003.jpg

C

code777

i use the linksys b and no major probs - unsure if "safari can't find network" is because of safari or router but everyone is telling me its safari bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is just a safari bug.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4. Your iBook should detect the connection automatically but you can still run the setup assistant (Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Setup Assistant)

I did all the steps more or less. Its #4 that is the problem. I should have been more specific earlier. When the iBook was setting up, it wanted to transfer my files from my desktop. I didn't have a firewire cable or whatever so I clicked to do it later. The set up assistant may have come up, but since it couldn't connect to the net (none of my ethernet settings were on here at the time) I think I continued.

Anyhow so knowing I could run the assistant anyway I did and played with the settings. Are they right? I have no idea. This is where I need help.

My iBook thinks their are the correct settings and the base station has been configured, Correctly, I have no idea. Using Safari I can't connect, don't know if its a bug issue.

If anyone can help me out, walk me through the "manual" set up, that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your Airport Signal icon on the top bar does it show a signal strength for the connection

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it does show a signal. I don't currently have it hooked up, but I'll try again shortly and see if its just Safari. I did download Firefox though. I still think my settings may be messed up. :closed:

C

ckmichik56

Recommend D-link Wireless Router

Hi,

Had a lot of trouble getting my Snow Airport connected to my DCM-202 cable modem. Went round and round with Apple, Comcast, and D-Link. I replaced my Airport with a D-link DI-524 Wireless router and was able to get everything to work. D-Link technical support is great! 24/7 support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
once the hardware is all setup, open safari and enter the ip address that came with your router into the url in safari, itll go to a setup page, set it all ap there, use wep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.