Windows Vista will not read Leopard Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (2.4 GHz Dual Intel Processor, 180 GB HD, 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600M Video)
Hello everyone,

So here's the thing. I successfully partitioned my Hard drive in Leopard so I could dedicate 80 GB to Vista Ultimate. Upon completing that, I restarted for Windows and formatted the partition to NTFS format. After fully installing windows, I booted it up and tried popping the Leopard disk in so that I could install the drivers for the iSight Camera, AirPort wireless hardware, and all the others. The only problem is Windows is not reading my copy of Leopard for some reason. Even when I go to the Computer and open D: there is nothing there. Any ideas?

Because of this, I'm not able to access the internet to update anything, whether it is wireless or through Cat-5 cable. Hopefully someone out there knows whats up. THANKS!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your Leopard DVD a legal Apple DVD and not a copy?

OP
elM0N0blanco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (2.4 GHz Dual Intel Processor, 180 GB HD, 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600M Video)
dtravis7:

It is a copy of a legal DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Allow me to state the obvious: use your legally-purchased original DVD. You DO have a legally purchased DVD, don't you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it's a copy it ain't legal. Simple.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm reviving this thread because I am having the exact same issue.

I have a brand new MacBook, installed a brand new legal copy of Vista Ultimate and Vista will not read the OS X install disc that came with my MacBook.
Any idea how I can get it the drivers needed to Vista?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, I'm reviving this thread because I am having the exact same issue.

I have a brand new MacBook, installed a brand new legal copy of Vista Ultimate and Vista will not read the OS X install disc that came with my MacBook. Any idea how I can get it the drivers needed to Vista?

If the Leopard DVD is one that came with your machine it should work. Can you boot the machine with that same DVD? If the DVD is not being read at all, it may be defective or there might be a problem with the Superdrive. Since the machine is new, contact your local Apple store and make an appointment with them to have it checked out.

Regards.

Reaction score
Me too

I had essentially the same problem two days ago and managed to turn it into something worse. I loaded XP into my Windows partition, and my (authentic) Leopard disc was repeatedly not read. Since it was a new hard drive, I decided just to reformat it. Now the only disc that gets recognized is my XP install disc. The OS X discs (1 & 2) go unrecognized regardless of which keys or key combinations I hold down at startup, though there may be some I don't know. In any case, I'm taking it down to the Apple store tomorrow and will post the outcome.

Bob F

Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand -- because your Mac could not read your Leopard DVD in Windows, you reformatted your Mac OS hard drive??? I must be missing something but that doesn't make sense. Why re-format your hard drive because you couldn't read an external media? Be curious to see what the genius bar folks have to say about that ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me make sure I understand -- because your Mac could not read your Leopard DVD in Windows, you reformatted your Mac OS hard drive??? I must be missing something but that doesn't make sense. Why re-format your hard drive because you couldn't read an external media? Be curious to see what the genius bar folks have to say about that ...

Well said Sammy.

Did you ever try the OSX DVD's in OSX to see if they came up before you zapped it all?

Reaction score
Follow up

This refers to my post three days ago in this thread.

I took my MBP to the Genius Bar at the local Apple store. Basically, the person who helped me could make only a wild guess or two at what was wrong. He reinstalled OS X via blu ray. I easily installed XP under Boot Camp, but the machine still won't recognize Leopard for the XP driver install. It will recognize all application discs that I've tried, except the Memorex cleaning disc. Same when I tried an external optical disc through the USB port. Since the MBP works great apart from the OS X system disc non-recognition thing, I'm going back to the store and ask them to install the XP drivers via blu ray and declare victory in terms of functionality, if not in terms of knowledge.

Thanks for all your comments.

Bob F

Reaction score
Humm . .. You should check if the CD is recognized over the OSX to make sure that the CD is working fine . .. are u entering the correct Cd its CD 1 that need to be inserted for the software's.
And If still ur getting the same issue, tell the guy at the genius bar to get u a new copy of the OSX Cds that u got in the box. ..but be sure that its the same of ur board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.