Trackpad button woes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey all. I have a small "problem". More of a nuisance than anything else, but anyway, my trackpad button has began to "stick" all of a sudden. I didn't spill anything, but it seems to have developed a double-click if that makes any sense. I have to press down much harder now to get a click out of it. Also, it comes and goes throughout the day. Sometimes it'll work fine for an hour or two, then the double click starts happening again. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or knows how to fix it a bit. I'm 99.9999% sure nothing was spilled on it, so I'm thinking this is mechanical. Thanks!

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
mine does the same exact thing. i just started to happen a couple days ago.

update: that link solved my problem. thanks man for the info

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
Thanks! No need to bring it back to the Apple store before my warranty expires now :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
LOL funny. Now THIS is why it is great when people post solutions when they find them. YOU have already found like 3 people who shared your issue and helped them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
I know exactly what you are talking about with the "double click" brought mine to apple and got it fixed. They replaced my whole top case. Macbook tho not pro.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
One more edit. For the people who seem to have that "pre-click" problem on their trackpad button, I think I found another solution if the paper thing doesn't work. (This is for Macbook Pro, not macbook)

First, power down and take out your battery. Now, in the newly opened hole in your macbook pro, you should see the left side of the bottom of the trackpad very easily. When I looked at mine, I noticed some black residue along the edges that came off very easily with the corner of a piece of paper, and then clean entirely with the edge of a paper clip (used gently and safely due to the amount of electronics you are dealing with). When this stuff came off, the pre-click went away very quickly. I can only figure it to be sweat/flesh flakes that just build up over time. It helps to open up the macbook pro and push down on the button so that you can see a little better. Just keep trying and eventually, the pre-click should work itself out. Good luck and feel free to ask for any more help. I can get pictures if necessary.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I had to do that with my MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Thanks for the tips, u're a hottie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.