Quicktime failure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 2GB Ram + 500GB ext.HDD
hello world!

This is another "can someone help" thread this time about quicktime.

Recently my quicktime pro started acting all funky when it will play .mp4 files and other with ease. I double click and away it goes to play it but something somewhere changed and recently I tried to open a .avi movie and it stopped responding so I forced quit it. This keeps happening even after I appzapped it and reinstalled (kind of... not sure how that worked out), many restarts and hours of angry running through sites. I downloaded new codes packs, reinstalled Perian and now i am just lost and do not have any idea what might be wrong... The videos start eventually but it takes about 3 minutes of 100% CPU usage with fans running 6000rpm which means lot of heat and lot of noise. Scrolling in the video when it is up and running is very very bad as well...Not like it used to be... any even little suggestions please? How can I re-install the whole quicktime? what might be causing the problem? Big thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Could you play those files fine before?

Avi is a container format, so depending on the codec that was actually used for a particular file, some videos might play better than others.

I've seen some movies play terribly in Quicktime for whatever reason, whilst VLC can play them fine.

OP
frankie.horak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh before it was a different story... After I switched I could not believe how fast videos loaded and began playing... All other formats work fine. Movies that I have watched before just stopped working... Is there anything in the .component part of quicktime i should maybe replace?

OP
frankie.horak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not know what I had against VLC player but I just got it and it feels gooood... quicktime still broken though...

OP
frankie.horak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how did this happen?

Hi,

I posted it before but got a great solution. My quicktime stopped playing some files mainly .avi while others like .mp4 work fine. I got the VLC player which is great and there... problem fixed... But now I noticed it is killing my quick look which was a very helpful thing. Further more I noticed that when I put a new video somewhere and it tries to generate its thumbnail from the content of the vid it starts to use 100% the CPU for about 3 minutes and then just gives up...

This is the first major problem I had with my MBP but it is driving me nuts...

Somebody, please, is there any way I could revert my quicktime to a stage like when it was new? Or repair it somehow? I dont want to reinstall the whole system since I did that couple of months back when I got Leopard... Somebody? Please?

Yours truly desperate Apple Fan..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
Have you tried the 'Disable video snapshot preview' option in the VLC preferences? Not sure if that might stop VLC trying to generate a thumbnail.

OP
frankie.horak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC is fine

ops sorry bout the merging...

My VLC player is fine and works great but I really would like to get my quicktime running again... anybody any suggestions please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.