• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How to recover a stolen computer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So to cut to the chase, my bag was stolen the other day with a good friend's Macbook Pro inside (double whammy). I'm currently living in Beijing/China and the police are quite useless so I've turned to the net to try and find alternative ways of locating the laptop.

So from what I've learnt, the computer doesn't have any lojacks or programs designed for tracing, it does have a version of Log Me In (which version I do not know, plus I don't know exactly how that program works) and we have the computer's SERIAL number but not its MAC address.

So what are some ways to be able to track this computer down?

Is there any way to find out the MAC address through the serial number?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as we are all desperately trying to get this computer back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
What you can do, I guess, via LogMeIn, theoretically, is if you use LogMeIn and see that the computer is idle for a while, install LoJack on it remotely....don't know about MAC addresses though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I would say you are screwed on this one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
You can call apple and report the machine stolen. If they take it in anywhere the service people will know its stolen. I think you will need the serial number from the computer - if you have apple care they can probably help you further.

jah

Reaction score
put an add in the local equivalent ebay/craigslist
attend a local open market
have a plan in place when you find the computer.

this too is a little late but:
apple should put finger print id on their devices, i have one on my pda and it is functional.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.