PC to iMac advice on virus and spyware

B

Big Dog Dad

I'm thinking of switching from the windows world to an Imac or PowerMac. I'm tired of virus checking, spyware, adware, malware, underwear, etc. I spend a good part of the evening trying to remove popups, spyware, adware, malware on my home PC. And yes, I'm running up-to-date spy sweepers, virus checkers, pop-up blockers and whatever else. My question is about the level of this crap that is infecting the Apple community. I'm totally new to Apple products, but I don't seem to see anything on this particular platform being bothered by this junk. Is it because the Apple OS is more secure or is it because there are just not enough users in the whole Apple community for the hackers to find it worth while to spend a lot of time developing their junk to infect Apple products? I like the looks of the iMac and would consider buying one after a little more prodding from this forum.

-=BDD=-

Reaction score
Big Dog Dad said:
Is it because the Apple OS is more secure or is it because there are just not enough users in the whole Apple community for the hackers to find it worth while to spend a lot of time developing their junk to infect Apple products?

There is no good answer for that, some might say apple is more secure while others may say that a company producing malware/spyware/whatever companies would be wasting their time to go after an OS that is, last I heard, under 5% of the desktop market, neither side is going to be able to prove it either way.

All I have to say is that a lot of PC spyware and malware requires some action by the user to get it installed, they don't just install themselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.