G5 iMac wont power up

Reaction score
Came in from work tonight and there was no power in the house, flicked the trip switch and everything came on except the mac ,it is 7 days over warranty :Angry: .checks ....plug socket works, tried different power lead, no go. Does anybody have any ideas, thanks in advance

Reaction score
Is there any sign of life at all? Do the fans attempt to spin up? Clicking sound? Front indicator light glowing? Usually, a blown power supply will exhibit some something. Welcome to the forum, sorry it is under such circumstances!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, janbardy.

Not sure which iMac you're talking about, you did not mention any specs (1st, 2nd or 3rd gen G5 iMac ? OS X version ? Amount of RAM ?)

Sherman has good suggestions, the first two iMac G5s had some power supply and logic board defects, depending on the serial number. Did you try leaving it unplugged from the electrical outlet for ten minutes or so, to let the capacitors drain completely ?

Try also resetting the PRAM and resetting the PMU. For the PMU instructions, go here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Sherman and MHC.

I am wondering what happened when you at work that made the main breaker trip like that. Power Surge? Is your iMac G5 plugged into a good surge protector?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5 iMac 20" 1.8, 15" MacBook Pro
Hi
First time poster...

I just had a very similar problem at home with my G5 iMac 1.8 (20"), but it didn't involve a power outage. My power for the computer comes through an APC UPS, but we had no outage, no breakers tripped. Normally we let the iMac sleep, but we had company staying in the room so last night we turned the computer off. This morning we tried to turn the computer on and... nothing. nothing at all.

We followed the reset SMU instructions, that didn't work. I took the back panel off and plugged it back in, power LED 1 lights up but LED 2 never does anything, following the instructions here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300908

I tried reseating the memory, but that didn't work either. Don't know what else to try now, except to replace the logic board. At close to $700 we'll just be looking at a new computer instead... anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
-Derek

Reaction score
Derek, if you followed the procedures at that web link then the good news is you have strong logic board diagnosis skills, which means that the bad news is that you already know the bad news. You are right, $700 bucks for a G5 mobo just doesn't make sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5 iMac 20" 1.8, 15" MacBook Pro
Thanks for the confirmation.

Message to the OP: It's a known issue, acknowledged by Apple. Check out this page. You may be eligible for a repair depending on purchase date. I'm calling mine in tomorrow. I bought mine 3 years and 2 months ago... :(

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

How long is the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iMac G5 computers for up to three years from the original date of purchase. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

So it may be eligible even though it's older than 3 years...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.