External Hard Drives and Power Cuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Hello, I have a Formac Firewire 500 GB external hard drive connected to my iBook at the moment that needs its own power supply to operate. My concern is what kind of damage can be done if there was a power cut.

Would it be the same as pulling the cord without ejecting the volume first and thereby running the risk that I could damage to data contained within it? I keep some quite important files on it and it is also my backup volume. Especially when I'm at university, I don't want to run the risk of losing an important essay or the like.

I'm considering getting a drive that runs off the iBook itself, so that in the event of a power cut it will continue to operate on the iBook's battery supply. Am I worrying needlessly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Am I worrying needlessly?
Yeah, probably.

I'm not sure how common power cuts are in North Somerset, but unless you happen to be actively writing data to the drive the exact moment the power cuts out, the chances of your drive conking out altogether because of a power cut are pretty slim.

If you're really worried, you could get a UPS, but that seems like overkill.

I keep some quite important files on it and it is also my backup volume.

Are these quite important files also backed up somewhere? (Internally on your iBook for instance?). If not you need another drive. Remember: The question is not IF the drive will fail, it's WHEN.

OP
clint1986
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I didn't word that very well. My "important files" are kept on both the iBook and the external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
If the data is important, or otherwise irreplaceable, it's never overkill to set up a UPS unit. They aren't that expensive, compared to the peace of mind that you'll get in return.

OP
clint1986
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.