External Hard drive on Windows quiery

Reaction score
Dont know much about setting them up. I have searched online with no sucess

I recently bought a Formac Disk Mini 160 GB which came with basically no instructions and no online help from the company.

I want to set it up so I can put things on and have them readable on a non-mac as well as on my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You have three major choices:

1/ Format the drive for FAT32, which is readable by both OS'. The upside is that both can read it. The downside is that FAT32 is a dreadful file system that affords none of the protections of the Mac OS X file system.

2/ Format it for HFS+ Journaled, the Mac OS X file system, and get MacDrive 7 for your Windows PC. MacDrive 7 is a piece of commercial software that adds HFS+ drivers to Windows.

3/ Format the drive for NTFS, the Windows file system that is used by default by XP and Vista, and get an NTFS driver for your Mac. Paragon Software makes such a driver, and it has been tested by several members of this forum, most of whom seemed to like it. There is also NTFS-3G, an open source NTFS driver for the Mac (Linux as well, by the way - I have used the Linux version and it seems quite stable).

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response.

Is there a way that my hard drive will work on other people's windows computer without having to install anything and work smoothly on my Mac as well?

I am really just looking for the easiest/safest way to use my hard drive without having to re-do this later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The NTFS route is the safest and best way to achieve the sort of seamless transferability you are looking for. That would be my recommendation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.