iMac vs. MBP for video editing...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I currently have a Black Macbook 2.0GHz C2D, and a G4 Mini 1.42GHz as my desktop. I've been getting into video editing for a project i'm working on now, and I think it would be a good idea for me to have a machine that has a better video card. I'm working off a set of WD MyBook externals for my scratch disks, using FCE 4.0. The drives have FW400, FW800, USB 2.0, and ESATA. 7200RPM 750GB each. I use an external monitor with the MB, more or less to view my canvas in full screen. The Mini is useless to me for video editing, though I use it every day for web surfing, music, ect.

Anyways. I suppose my 2 options are to either:

1) Upgrade my MB to a MBP, and keep riding the Mini to its eventual demise (sell the MB, and kick in a few hundred now, wait for a better desktop later on)

2) Sell the Mini while it's still worth a few hundred and put it towards an iMac (Kick in $800-900 now).

The catch...i'd like to limit my spending to $1200-$1300. So i'd be looking at used or refurbs. Any opinions on what the better option would be?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
If you want the portabilty go for the MBP other wise the imac will be great for video editing!! How does the black macbook go tho is it not to bad??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For video editing, I honestly believe that faster is better. You will likely want the iMac, and the one with the fastest processor you can afford. You will also want oodles of RAM since video is your prime intent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
iMac for sure unless you need the portability. You get more bang for your buck with the iMac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another vote for the iMac.

Agreed with mac57. For video editing and encoding, the video card is not nearly as important as the processor. Spend your money first on the processor, 2nd on RAM and 3rd on the video card. And don't get a machine with a 5400 rpm hard drive for video editing.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose I don't really need the portability of the MBP if I keep my MB, but I need to have a laptop around, that's for sure. I suppose the idea of having one machine that would fit the bill for all my needs (which is the cheaper of the 2 options as well) was optimal. But, in the end, I suppose you're right with respect to processor speed for renders. My external scratch disks are 7200RPM, but i'm not sure i'd want a power hog like that in a notebook, heating things up and sucking down battery power.
How does the black macbook go tho is it not to bad??
It's loaded with 2GB RAM and actually does pretty well. When i'm using an external monitor it'll drop frames every so often, but it actually doesn't happen very much. It gets the job done for sure, but it does feel like it's at the edge of its abilities. I'd rather have something that will run an external monitor without any worries about frame dropping, and faster processor for quicker renders would be great. I also want to take advantage of the FW800 ports on my scratch disks. In addition, a 13" screen is on the small side for video editing.

So, for all the above reasons, even though the MB does surprisingly well, I figured i'd be best off with a Pro level notebook, or an iMac. It'll be more money, but like a few of you mentioned, the iMac is more bang for your buck. Maybe i'll hang on to the MB and pick up the fastest iMac I can get for $1300.

-Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
I'm looking at the 2.0 GHz, 20" iMac. but am tempted by the 2.4GHz. So, all things being equal, I'm wondering which is better for video: 2.0GHz w/4GB RAM or 2.4GHz with stock 1GB RAM?

Also, Crucial.com sells the iMac ram as DDR2 PC2-5300 but Apple describes it as SO-DIMM. Are these synonymous acronyms?
Nevermind, I just read the footnote at the bottom of the iMac page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm wondering which is better for video: 2.0GHz w/4GB RAM or 2.4GHz with stock 1GB RAM?

The one with the 4Gb memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.