WinXP on Bootcamp CPU problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post... Tried searching about my CPU problem to no avail.

Just bought a Macbook, 2.4GHz, 250GB HD, 2G RAM. I installed WinXP Pro SP2 using bootcamp (alloted 40GB HD space). My problem is this... when I look at the General Tab (under control panel/system properties)... it shows only 2.4 Ghz, 790 Mhz.

I tried to plug it in to see if it will change speed, even tried changing battery but no change whatsoever.

So guys... what d'ya think. How can I solve this mystery? Here's hoping for your wisdom.

Cheers

Reaction score
Most likely you are seeing Intel's Speedstep in action. It is Intel's way of saving battery power. The speed will rev up to 2.4Ghz if it is needed. However, you can make it run at full speed by going into the Power Options in control panel and choose the Maximum Performance scheme. That will force the processor into full speed operation at all times but your battery life will suffer.

Reaction score
but how is bootcamp going so far? Is it just like running a windows on a mac?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks ud... will try it later... Just need maximum cpu speed for CAD applications on WinXP once in a while. JJ, no problem with bootcamp... tried parallels but it keeps messing up my mac so I uninstalled it and re-install WinXP again. Trying to go mac, except to CAD and some engineering softwares that are still Windows based.

I also tried disabling the ACPI driver... it works but can't see battery/power status. When I enable it again, sometimes it shows 2.39Ghz, sometimes 790Mhz (with the charger plugged in)... 790Mhz on battery supply alone.

Anyway, just trying to figure it out when I've nothing much to do I guess... Quite happy with my transition to mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.