iPod Photo is up at Apple.com

S

SamR

I think it's incredibly cool. I'd like to see some pictures of actual ones to see how good the picture resolution is, cause it can't possibly look as clear as it does on Apple's site. I wish they'd come out w/ like 20gb photo ones cause I don't have the money or needed space for 40gb.

OP
M
Reaction score
I like the color screen but I have no use for a photoviewer with such a small screen.

Another thing new on apple's site is the 20gb iPod U2 edition, it looks pretty kewl.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D Glossy
Yeah can't say i would have much use for the viewing of photos on it, the colour screen is **** cool but does it zap more battery power?

S

SamR

It says still up to 15hrs of battery life. (5 if you're doing slideshows and music)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Looks awesome, but $500 is really up there. It's half the price of an iBook and I'd hardly consider it worth that. I agree on the 20gb version being needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hmm...I don't know...
It looks great, with that color screen and the ability to watch pictures on a TV with underlying music.

But what's the need for it?!? I mean, if at least it had a card reader, so that you could transfer your photos directly to it, then it would be a little more interesting. But only for photo slideshows?! Way too expensive for that.
Like gort said, it's half the price of an iBook, and the iBook is definitely more usefull...

The Thomson PDP 2860 is far more interesting. Not only does it have a larger display, but also it's able to play MPEG4 video files, includes a COmpact flash card reader and has video input to encode directly in MPEG4...for 399,- Euro!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well you can get a card reader for it, but I agree that the price is waaaay to high.

On the other hand, they couldn't just drop the current 4th gen so soon after introducing them... and if they made the colour ones 50$ and 100$ more expensive (than the regular 40Gb iPod), no one would buy the "normal" ones.

M

m1k

Yeah, Apple should definitely make it able to play movies (perhaps a plasma screen instead of LCD?). I have no use for looking at photos on the move, I don't know what Apple was thinking. The battery life is a plus, though.

Sort of disappointing overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you watch the keynote apple thinks other companies are stupid for putting video on a 2" screen so they are not going to even bother with it.

Plasma dies after 5,000 hours of use so its not really worth it.

M

m1k

If you watch the keynote apple thinks other companies are stupid for putting video on a 2" screen so they are not going to even bother with it.

Plasma dies after 5,000 hours of use so its not really worth it.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't see the keynote posting, I just watched it. Convincing, and I definitely see the advantages of photos over video.

However, I don't think it'll do as well as the original iPod (or at least not many people will buy it for the photo feature) because looking at photos requires your full attention, whereas music doesn't. Also, you can listen to music with your iPod in your pocket, whereas with the iPod photo you have to be carrying it in your hand. Finally, you can listen to a piece of music at least a few dozen times before it gets boring, whereas you can really only look at a picture once or twice before it gets boring.

As for the plasma: Never knew that! Cool, thanks. I wondered why most laptops are LCD (besides the price). Plasma never trails, which is a bit better than LCDs, but I can see why LCDs are better.

Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the iPod photo also plays music just like the regular so you can use it just like the original iPod by having it in your pocket

M

m1k

the iPod photo also plays music just like the regular so you can use it just like the original iPod by having it in your pocket

Yeah, but with photos (which is the main new feature) you can't look at them with your iPod in your pocket.

I think it will probably sell well, but people will buy it because of the improved capacity (60gigs), the color screen (album art and it just looks cooler) and also the fact that the battery life is 3 hours longer.

I don't really think a lot of people will use the photo feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have a LOT of photos and it would almost be worth getting it just so that I can stick the photos on it and have one backup somewhere else. I don't know how many times I've had people wanting to look at our wedding photos.. now how cool would that be for me to whip the sucker out and say here you go.. take a look :) Like it has been mentioned before, the only thing that would make this better is if it had a media reader.. a better one then already exists. I could take my iPod and my camera on trips and don't even have to take the laptop, right now I have to take the laptop since I can't empty my memory sticks anywhere else. They introduce a better mediareader then I think it's an excellent idea, it really slims down what you take on trips. I think overrall it's a great idea and allows 3rd party venders a lot of room for them to create accessories.. what you see right now.. yeah not a big deal, but in a couple of months.. maybe less the accessories will make it definitely worthwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
yea man, like a 3 or 4 megapixel camera. That'd been a killer iPod!

I

i love macs

when i first heard about it i thought the idea was pretty useless. but now ive realised how useful an ipod photo could be for me ( a fine arts student) to be able to carry around 25000 photos of art as something to look at for ideas or for referencing for be fantastic!!!! along with being able to show other people my work easily. but i dont have any use for it to hold photos of my friends and family etc.

is there a way to get the photos directly from the camera to the ipod without using a computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
if you purchase Belkins media reader, but I hear it's quite slow itself. Hopefully someone comes out with a better one soon.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Oh, and iPod with a color screen and the ability too look at photos and album art!

Next.

M

m1k

Oh, and iPod with a color screen and the ability too look at photos and album art!

Next.

Abs, your attitude is awful. If you hate Macs that much, don't stick around the forums, and go drink bleach or something.

Seriously, stop with the attitude, OK?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.