why does iTunes put everything in the main folder?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm one week into my new Mac and absolutely love it! So much better than... you know... Anyway, I "activated" iTunes yesterday, and downloaded a few podcasts, and they were neatly filed away under Podcasts where I can access each one individually.

In contrast, when I backed up a couple of music CDs, they're listed under Music OK, but they're all thrown together in one big file. Is there a way to tell iTunes to display the music in its library by album?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Secondary click "name" and check the boxes you want to show. Album, artist, etc. If that isn't what you are asking, click 'View' at the top and click "Show Browser". If that isn't what you're asking, please restate the question :)

OP
DreamingFox
Reaction score
Hi ogacon,

You're close. (And those are both useful pieces of info.) But I find that all the songs that are related to an album are not necessarily stored in the same folder. For example I've got one album that put 11 of twelve songs together in one folder, and put the last song in a separate folder with the same name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, you are talking about on your hard drive itself. Under preferences somewhere, not exactly sure, but shouldn't be hard to find, there is a box that says "keep music organized". It will store it into Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

Reaction score
i have the same thing, looks organised till i go into a different view where i realise every song in an album is actually seperated! I cant be bothered to fix it tho! :D

Reaction score
It's because whoever has entered the information on Gracenote originally has put them under different album artists (Usually happens on various artists compilations).

Select all of the tracks in the album - right click - Get Info, and then enter the album artist as 'Various' (Or whatever you choose). Just make sure you change album artist and not artist or you will end up with no actal artists names on the tracks.

OP
DreamingFox
Reaction score
@ ogacon, both of your suggestions were helpful in getting me organized - I tried to tell you earlier, but had a login problem... thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! :) Glad you figured it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.