• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPod Photo with a 40GB & 60GB iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
THere is a new iPod, two actually, one is 40GB ($499) and a 60GB($599) iPod on the Apple.com website that has a 2 in LCD screen and comes with an app called iPod Photo.

Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

Very cool

Reaction score
iPod Photo

does anyone know if it can play video because it would be nice to have 60 gb hardrive to auto-capture from a camera to the iPod and be able to view it and listen to it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It doesnt look like it, only photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah software update and there is also a new version of iTunes available, although I can't access it through Software Update yet, but I am sure by tonight it will be available.

M

Matt

That is so cool! 60gig, colour screen. I'm sure with 3rd Party software you could use video. Also, I bet there going to release a clip on camera, if its going to be Apple or 3rd Party who knows.

Reaction score
I noticed that apple are claiming a 15hr battery life. I'm assuming the colour screen will take more power so they must be using a better battery so: Why couldn't they stick this battery in the 4G?? That would give it a massive battery life right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
probably because they had a contract with their supplier for a certain amount of time.. that time is up so now they can use a different supplier. Or the technology just wasnt there when they were creating the 4th G and remember they create it long before we see it.. could be a lot of reasons :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
15 hours if you are only doing music

It can do pictures for 5 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The iPod Photo is slightly thicker than the normal 40GB iPod (0.75" to 0.69"). I guess it's battery simply is bigger, that's why it has a higher capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I just looked over the new color iPod. It is incredible, even shows progress bars just like Aqua in OS X. So glad I waited :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well they are nice, but the pricing is a little out of my league at the moment.

I mean, that's half an iBook...
Although it doesn't fit in my pocket, I still prefer my 'book & my 2nd gen. iPod as my digital hub :)

I

iPod

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until they put video capabilities in them until I even consider buing a brand new one.

N

Nightblade

I wonder if Apple would've even bothered to start working on this idea had they not heard about Microsoft's Portable Media Centers. Because, the PMCs are like iPods that can also play TV shows, movies, and show and store photos. What Apple is doing to their iPods is making them more like PMCs. I personally don't have a problem with it. I mean, who really cares anymore when these computer companies steal technology from each other? It used to be such a big deal, but now it's done so much that no one really cares anymore. Besides, this is the only way that Mac users can have portable photo carriers that are also portable music carriers. So, it definitely seems Apple's pushing their iPod in the direction of the PMCs. Maybe one day iPods will also be able to play movies and TV shows?

Nevertheless, this is an unbelievably large step for the iPod. Not just the photos, but the capacity of 60 GB too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I havent really spoken up yet, but it's my turn :) I really like the Photo iPod and I wouldnt mind having one, but the price is just way too much for me, for other people it might not be. I don't want the Photo iPod either until they provide a good way for me to transfer my memory stick data onto the iPod, that way I do not have to be tied to my laptop when I travel.. just take my iPod and my camera and Im good! Not yet though. As for movies.. how many of us actually take a lot of movies and want to put them on the iPod, that's the only movies we can legally put on the iPod... very few of us create home videos and even fewer of us digitize them. As for TV, even TiVO is feeling the pressure.. they can now delete content off of your TiVO player at will due to "rights" etc.. it's pretty sad and it has a lot of people pretty upset.. so there goes the TV idea.. and how many people really want to watch TV on a tiny screen like the iPod? The user base is growing smaller and smaller.. why would Apple go for something that has a very tiny user base?

As it has been said before.. the iPod Photo not only has a color screen and some people might just buy it for that reason, but it has a 60 GB drive.. some people will buy it just for that reason. Those two groups will probably be the majority of people and then there will be those who really love the Photo capabilities and will buy it. It'll succeed there is no doubt about it.

The part that is annoying is when people assume that everyone should be like them, should think like them, should act like them, etc.. come on, that's extremely close minded. Different things appeal to different people. Apple is great at determining what the majority will like, even though some of us might not like it, the majority usually does. I can't understand the whole sock thing, but you know what.. they'll probably sell.. no clue why, but that's probably because Im one of those people not in the majority and I don't fit the profile they are marketing to. That's fine.. I don't have to buy it, but for me to think because it does not appeal to me that it shouldnt appeal to anyone and that it will only appeal to zealots, would be arrogant of me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.