Airport Express on Existing Wireless Network (HELP!!)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Having your Airport join the existing network wirelessly should not be a problem. I have done it with a Time Capsule and it is not that difficult to set up.

You would need to use the Airport Utility and perform. A manual setup. In one of the tabs, don't remember which at the moment, there is an option for the type of network to be created. One of the options is to extend an existing network wirelessly. You will need to know the name of the network, type of security, and password.

There is one caveat that may not apply to your situation. Some Airport models disable the wired ethernet ports when you use them to join and extend an existing wireless network. I am not sure if this applies to all models. If you can provide your model number perhaps I can find a more specific answer.

Reaction score
I had that exact same problem, word for word. I thought about taking it back but I tried the factory reset - depress reset button while plugging it in, hold reset until the light starts flashing fast, release reset button then press reset button again and hold for 30 seconds. After that my router was able to see the AX and then all was good!:D

Just tried this - had the same problem as the original poster and it worked like a charm. Easy enough to do and it worked! Thanks

Reaction score
You can tell Santa (or your spouse) that you have been GOOD!

SPSherm and Mike-the-banker, please tell Santa that someone is very gratefull and can vouch that you have been very GOOD this year!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz CoreDuo, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD
Factory Reset FTW

I had that exact same problem, word for word. I thought about taking it back but I tried the factory reset - depress reset button while plugging it in, hold reset until the light starts flashing fast, release reset button then press reset button again and hold for 30 seconds. After that my router was able to see the AX and then all was good!:D

This is the one that worked for me.

I installed a new wireless router (Belkin N) and my AirPort Express turned yellow and my AirPort Utility couldn't find it.

Factory reset, and voila, set it up again in 30 seconds.

Cheers,
Robert

Reaction score
i have been struggling with my express for years now - I thought something must be wrong with it but I thought I would give it one last go today. I followed what SPSherm said and everything worked perfectly! Getting rid of the security solved everything :D:D

However! When I updated my AX with WPA security password, then my Telus Gigaset se567 router to WPA-PSK and the same password, the AX failed to restart.

Is there a type of security that works better with the AX? I've spent a few hours today and need to stop trying for a while and maybe I'll take a crack at it tomorrow (getting too frustrated at the moment) but does anyone have any advice for me?

I am just trying to connect the AX to my Gigaset router so I can play music off airplay speakers.

Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.