• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

After Effects Render SLOW - Slower than my old PC

Reaction score
I am using a new 1 month old 20" iMac, 2.0Ghz with 4gb DDR2 RAM, running OS X Leopard. Adobe After Effects CS3 is rendering really slow, and I mean like the same as my PC. Also the same with Premiere Pro, it renders really slow and I have tried different formats too, in premiere pro it took 2 hours to render a 5 minute video (saved to .mp4 640x480 pixels, end size was 20mb). This is wayyy to slow.

I compared my Mac with my old PC running Windows XP, it is pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with Hyper threading technonlogy and 1.5 GB DDR Ram. I tested rendering andrew kramers 3d room tutorial, I downloaded the project file. I only chose to render some of it and the old PC was FASTER than the Mac by around 15-20%. BUT, the mac was ONLY using 6% of the 3gb (it only recognises 3 gig not 4 but I dont mind that too much) and the PC was using 60-70% of the 1.5GB (thats using more RAM than the mac) So why can't I get the Mac to use more RAM when rendering, and why is it slower??? It is faster at EVERYTHING else, well the ram preview is about the same.

How can I get my mac to use more of the RAM and why is it rendering and previewing the same if not SLOWER than my 5 year old PC?
Any help would be awesome, thanks

- Dillon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If your Mac is only recognising 3GB, are you sure it's the new model?

The old Core Duo iMacs (white) could only access 3GB, but if the memory isn't balanced (i.e. 2x 1GB sticks) you couldn't get some dual access speed benefit thingy...

Also make sure you have the latest updates for everything... Premiere Pro was only scheduled to be fully Leopard compatible in Jan 08 I think.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes I have the new model, I got it a month ago and its not the white one. I've been on the site and the max is 4gb and the Operating System says it has 4gb just not after effects (its the silver mac by the way).

I got latest updates and everything, thanks for your help though I hope someone else has more suggestions.
- Dillon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.