OS X 10.4 on a MacBook Pro Intel chip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 Ghz 17" Macbook Pro, 2gb ram, 160gb HDD
Hi guys I just bought my first mac.
I got a Macbook pro with the Intel chip.
I got it off ebay and it didn't come with any cds.
So my question is can I use any Os X 10.4 cd or do I need to buy one made for the Intel chip? I know that I can buy the restore cd's from apple but my friend just upgraded to 10.5 so he's giving me his old 10.4 disks. Just wanted to make sure I could use them.

Thanks
Juno Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If giving means just that and not loaning just to do the install, and it is the full install Tiger DVD which is black colored and NOT grey which is model specific okay. Licenses generally are single user license only.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He is giving it too me. As in it becomes mine. He has three macs so the bought the family pack and he still has two keys left over. I dont know what color the disks are, I will have to ask him. So if there black I can use them. Thats good to know.

Thanks
Juno Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If giving means just that and not loaning just to do the install, and it is the full install Tiger DVD which is black colored and NOT grey which is model specific okay. Licenses generally are single user license only.
There wasn't ever a retail version of Tiger that was for Intel Macs, so in this case he would have to use the grey model specific discs.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There wasn't ever a retail version of Tiger that was for Intel Macs, so in this case he would have to use the grey model specific discs.

So If there are no retail disks for Intel Macs, Im going to have to buy the restore disks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
So If there are no retail disks for Intel Macs, Im going to have to buy the restore disks?

Correct.

As a side note, people really need to crack down on eBay sellers who don't include disks. There is really no reason or excuse, and the sooner buyers start being a bit more discerning, the sooner these bulk sellers will change their habits.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, so to be honest I'd just go out and buy Leopard instead.
Amazon has it for just $110:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard

I have leopard but I haven't installed it yet because I hear that it dose not run all software yet. I just want a way to go back to tiger if there is a software I need that leopard wont run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have leopard but I haven't installed it yet because I hear that it dose not run all software yet. I just want a way to go back to tiger if there is a software I need that leopard wont run.
Might I suggest you cross that bridge when you get to it?

Leopard runs most software just fine. There are one or two bits of old software that won't run, but for most apps there's a current release that works just fine.

http://guides.macrumors.com/List:Applications_Not_Compatible_with_Leopard

M

MacHeadCase

Correct.

As a side note, people really need to crack down on eBay sellers who don't include disks. There is really no reason or excuse, and the sooner buyers start being a bit more discerning, the sooner these bulk sellers will change their habits.

Agreed. This is a true nightmare when the buyer needs to reinstall for whatever reason. No money saved by buying a Mac without its install disk for OS X, bundled software and hardware diagnostic tools. They have to spit out the cash for the Mac on eBay, turn around and buy the software later on top of that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for all your help. Since I already have tiger installed on my mbp im going to use a software I found called superduper to clone the drive to a image, then install leopard. If I have any problems with leopard I can always go back to the image. Do you all see anything wrong with that?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im going to get the restore disks. Do you guys have any good site where I could get these or is apple the only place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for all your help. Since I already have tiger installed on my mbp im going to use a software I found called superduper to clone the drive to a image, then install leopard. If I have any problems with leopard I can always go back to the image. Do you all see anything wrong with that?
That should work aces.

Junodixon said:
Im going to get the restore disks. Do you guys have any good site where I could get these or is apple the only place?

Not trying to step on your toes, but that really sounds overly paranoid. If you do find that elusive piece of software that won't run under Leopard, you've got your backup to restore to and can always get the restore disks later.
You have a perfectly good OS waiting to be loved - give it a chance first! SuperDuper is very reliable, so if things do go wrong you can always go back..

Here's how I would do it:
1. Connect the external drive
2. Run SuperDuper
3. Try booting off the external drive to make sure it all works as expected (restart and hold down "option" to boot off the external drive)
4. Install Leopard
5. Enjoy! ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not trying to step on your toes, but that really sounds overly paranoid.

Yeah sorry about that. Im a recent pc convert, im starting to see that you don't have to be so paranoid like you have to with a pc. Ill do the image when I get home. Ill post and tell you guys how it went. I cant wait, I have been waiting since x-mas to install leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.