Unpartition possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Let's say I were to attempt to install XP in boot camp, and then realized my copy doesn't work, but the partition was already made. Can I unpartition it without losing my whole Mac partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes... so long you are using Leopard's Disk Utility, which can manage partitions "non-destructively". An alternative is to use iPartition.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let's say I were to attempt to install XP in boot camp, and then realized my copy doesn't work, but the partition was already made. Can I unpartition it without losing my whole Mac partition?

Yes, the Boot Camp Assistant can back out and repartition the disk back to a single partition.

What Lifeisabeach is referring to is Leopard's version of Disk Utility. It is now capable of dynamically repartitioning HFS+ partitions on-the-fly, without destroying the data. In older versions of Mac OS, you would need a third party utility to do the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.