Inkjet printer for graphic design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 15" 1.83 GHz
Hi, I'm a graphic designer and I need a large format inkjet printer (at least 11x17) to use at home with my macbook pro. I mainly need it to print out pieces for my portfolio and I'll probably use it as my regular printer too (ie. whatever else I need to print out, from driving directions to resumes).
I'm wondering what would be the best option(s) for me. I can probably spend around $600. Something that isn't super huge would be nice too, since it has to fit somewhere in my tiny living space.

We have this Epson one at work that I absolutely hate (it's probably old too). The color prints too cool and it won't take thick photo paper for no good reason at all. However, a few years ago when I was in college we had an Epson that printed really well & the color was great, so I'm not against Epson. I mainly want good color (I realize it's never 100% accurate), the ability to print on varying weights of paper, and to print larger formats.

I also currently have this super cheap Epson Stylus Photo R220 printer which no longer works, and lots of ink cartridges to go with it (it takes 6 colors: CMYK and light magenta & light cyan). I don't know if I stick with Epson if I could use these same cartridges with a new printer....otherwise I'll probably just try & sell them on ebay.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2) 2.8Ghz quad intel/512mb nvidia 8800GT/6GB ram/1TB HDD Macbook Pro 15" stock
my wife is doing photography in school. We have an Epson R1900. Ive done extensive reviews on cnet.com, UK and AUS reviews as well. I paid $529 at J&R in manhattan. They deliver too. really happy with it, but get your screen calibrated. Just look up this printer on reviews on cnet, or pcmag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.