Turning off Powerbook while it's running maintenance tasks.

T

Toanjii

Hello everyone.

I'm new to macs. I've read that maintenance tasks (daily, weekly, monthly) run at 3-5am. One source say that the daily task run at 3.15am (Onyx help file).

Last night I was working late and finished work around 3am. I happen to notice that the hard drive was accessing continously before I shutdown my Powerbook. Ooops too late. It didn't occur to me that the daily task might be running until this morning.

My question is: Does interupting these maintenance tasks (ie. shutdown, restart, loss of power, etc) stuff up OS X?

I'm concerned because from my experience on windows pc, turning off the computer while defragmentating the hard drive causes lots lots of problems with data corruption.

I don't know what the nature of OS X maintenance tasks are.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps in advance!! :D

Toan.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think you will have any problems. What the scripts/tasks are doing is basically rolling over some log files and resync a few databases. The task that you interrupted was most likely the daily tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.